I belong here, I promise

This was requested by the brilliant em230

A new season has started at Bondi Beach, and with new seasons comes new lifeguards. This year the youngest lifeguard is the local surfer Jethro James at the age of 19. Due to his young age a lot of the older lifeguards especially Kerrbox, Deano, Harries and Reidy didn't really feel like he belonged on the team. Jethro always tried to show that he did belong there, everyone else was 100% sure that he belonged. They could just tell by the way he acted while he had a shift. It was quite different from how he is outside of work tho, he was more serious on job than outside of work.

But only the young lifeguards that were close to his age saw that side of him, he was so busy with impressing the older lifeguards that he wasn't always himself around them.

It was only on one particular shift that he was able to prove that he belonged. He was on with Kerrbox, Deano, Harries, Reidy, Hoppo, Maxi, H and Corey. The waves were bigger than normal and they were getting more dangerous every passing second. They thought they had everything under control but suddendly they heard a high pitched scream coming from the waves. Hoppo was quick to send Jethro out and told him to be careful out there. Some of the older lifeguards reacted a bit badly to that saying that Jethro wasn't worth sending out because he didn't know what he was doing half of the time.  Hoppo just looked at them and smiled while telling them to watch Jethro.

Jethro ran as fast as he possibly could to rescue the girl out in the rip, but as he came out he noticed that there was not one but two people stuck. He assumed that they were together and quickly got them on the rescue board. He came back to shore again only to notice that most of the lifeuards were looking at him in schock. He was honestly terrifed to go back to the tower so he focused on making sure that the people he rescued hadn't swallowed any water and was free of injuries.

He spent about maybe 20 minutes on making sure that they were okay before trudging up towards the tower. He was met by a suprise the people who had told him that he didn't belong and wasn't worth being here said sorry and told him he did a good job with the rescue.

He wanted to forgive them but he just couldn't. they had made him feel so worthless for so long and didn't stop even after Hoppo told them to. He wasn't sure if he could trust them while doing a rescue, so once the shift was over and he was able to think abit he walked to Hoppo's office. He was extremely lucky that Hoppo understood and wished him well.

It took some time but he managed to find a good job that paid well and he enjoyed. He kept in contact with some of the boys.

While the boys who had been rude towards him lived in quite alot of regret for being the reasons a young kid quit his dream job, they got told of by pretty much all of the lifeguards including their wife's who had taken a liking to Jethro.

Noone outside the boys and their families knew what happend and they hoped to keep it that way, but they all knew that one way or another it was going to come out.