22

Chapter 22- Yan Xing (2)

Yan Xing's saber was named "Duan Shui."¹ This name was not given by him.

He believes that a blade is just a blade; there's no need for any names.

It's a name that was given by the populace.

That year, it hadn't been long since Yan Xing departed from the sect. Amidst the desolate prairies of the Eastern Continent, he caught sight of the Wei River's majesty, surging across the wide plains. Following the tides of his fortune, he traveled alongside the river's flow. Throughout his journeying, his cultivation rose steadily step by step, until he reached the midpoint of the great river and entered the Lesser Vessel stage.

He broke through too easily, his energy too vigorous—so much so that it caused a senior he came across to be extremely displeased.

That Bao Pu Sect elder ordered a servant to lower the grand carriage². With an air of condescension, he alighted from the carriage.

From across the river, he lectured Yan Xing, "Which family's junior are you, to be so rude and uncouth; for what reason would you not restrain your energy when encountering an elder? To be so arrogant and domineering, your journey on the path of cultivation will not be long! You must know 'drawing a blade to cut water will only quicken its flow³', 'the dao⁴ of heaven is long and arduous, the hardship passed by none'⁵. Youngsters these days! Only a little bit of strength and you believe there is naught under heaven you cannot do; in the future, you will surely stumble!"

These words seemed to be ones of guidance from an elder, but they were full of cursing and resentment.

Yan Xing mused: 'This really lacks reason. Between us is a river, even if my vital energy was fully externalized it's impossible that it would bump into you, not to mention how your cultivation realm is a bit higher than mine.'

This person has never taught him, nor has he raised him, yet he is here posturing as a senior to lecture him.

This led to him remembering something shifu once said, "Not everyone with a high cultivation and lived a long life will carry the demeanor of a respectable senior. There will always be people who grow more arrogant as they grow stronger; the longer they live, the more they fear death. It's this type of person who most cannot stomach flaunting of the youths, making them feel as if their own primes are ones of failure and shame."

And then shifu looked at him and sighed, "This old man had no shortage of encounters like this. Between you three disciples of this old man, you're the most similar to me. It's unavoidable that you will also meet such a person in the future. When that time comes you must remember, if you can beat them, beat them, if you cannot beat them, you still need to anger them to death."

In the end, the Sword Saint concluded, "Youngsters should show off, one way or another."

It's a pity that Duan Chongxuan had yet to become a disciple, otherwise, it wouldn't have taken him more than three sentences before he enraged that person to death.

At this point, Yan Xing was still very young, but he also had his own methods.

Since he was a youth, if someone had a problem with him, then he can only draw his blade!

Yan Xing directly hacked forth with his blade!

He didn't chop towards the person on the other shore, but the surging river itself!

Three thousand tremendous waves arose from nothing!

Boundless energy erupted from the person on the opposite shore, clashing with the waves mid-air above the river's banks.