Bonus Chapter 2

Everything was perfect. It had been for over a hundred years. But now that they had their own little family, it felt like everything was complete. The final piece in Briar's life.

It was Raiden's 10th birthday

Raiden never woke up very early, which made Briar and Azriel extremely happy. Only last year on his birthday, when he had knocked on their door, telling them he was ready to train. An hour before dawn.

Briar hoped that he would sleep in this year, so she and Az wouldn't have to get up so early. Especially not on their day off.

She had been on the verge of a breakdown all week. It had been so busy. Her family had been very tiring. Since she worked with and for them, it hadn't been easy.

Nesta had been busy with Valkyrie business, so Briar decided to stay away from the House of Wind for the week. She liked to train, but preferred Az, Rhys or Feyre's company over training with the Valkyries.

Elain finally came back home. She couldn't miss Raiden's 10th birthday.

Normally, Briar would work at the townhouse whenever she needed her space, but Elain and Lucien stayed there.

Nyx stayed at the river house for the week, since he wanted to be there for Raiden's party, which they kept small.

The river house had always been the most busy house. She felt so stressed out, that she didn't feel like spending her time there.

Working alone at home and visiting Rhys every now and then was also tiring. But what made her feel the worst, was what her son had told her.

Raiden only wanted his family with him on his birthday. Briar had told him over and over again that it was okay for him to invite some friends, but he told his mother that he didn't have anyone to invite.

It shattered Briar's heart to hear him say that. He had noticed his mother's face and immediately tried to lighten her mood.

"I do have friends. I just don't want to invite them." he said softly, "I'd rather spend the day with my family."

Briar kneeled in front of him and pulled him into a hug, "Please tell me when something is wrong." he nodded. "And I think it's very sweet to think about your family."

She knew that he wasn't really like most kids, that he was more quiet and liked to keep to himself. He never complained about having lesser friends than others, but Briar knew it bothered him.

Even though he hadn't inherited his father's gifts, he liked to keep to the shadows.

His personality was a perfect mix between Az and Briar's. Both his parents weren't very outgoing. He was quieter like Az, but when being with the right people, he acted more like Briar—on her good day.

Briar and Az both knew that he didn't really think of his birthday like something special, so they had their own traditions.

They would spend the day together. Just the three of them, and they would have dinner with his favorite food and cake at the river house.

The sun woke Briar up. She hadn't closed the window yesterday evening.

She felt more well rested after a stressful week. Azriel had made sure that she wouldn't be so stressed anymore.

Sleeping next to her mate always made her feel better.

She could hear him breathe softly as she opened her eyes, meaning he was probably still asleep.

She was laying on his chest, one of his arms around her waist, holding her tightly.

Briar placed a kiss on his tattooed chest and sighed.