Nineteen

——

Briar POV

They had eaten dinner in silence, only the three of them, and Nyx, of course. Mor had stayed somewhere else, telling them she couldn't make it.

Rhys and Briar had spoken about her powers. She didn't like it, but it was necessary.

They would start training tomorrow afternoon.

She now lay in her bed, the room across from Azriel's.

Something pulled in her chest, telling her to go see him. So she did.

It was already late, the house was quiet.

Briar opened Azriel's door. His room was dark, but she could see that his eyes were open.

"Azriel? Are you awake?" she asked quietly.

"I am. My eyes are open, see." she let out a sigh of relief and strolled over to the bed.

She sat down next to him, careful not to touch his wings.

"Can I.. stay here? Much happened today, I don't want to wake up because of a nightmare." she saw Azriel nod.

Briar walked around the bed and laid down next to him, leaving some space between them. She faced him.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"Better. My wings and back hurt." he said. Obviously.

"I... felt it." she said, earning a questioned look from Azriel.

She pushed herself closer to him. "I didn't know what it was. Then I saw you, unconscious. I felt scared." she said. "I'm sorry they did that to you."

Azriel lifted his hand to her cheek, Briar gave him a nod in approval to touch her.

His hand was warm and finally clean of blood. The feeling of his scars on her skin felt comforting.

"I'm sorry that I let them go." he said.

"We will get another chance." she said, smiling softly at him.

She lifted her hand, placing it on his hand.

She saw his eyes flicker to her lips, this time being sure he did. She also knew he wasn't going to take that step, scared she might reject him.

Briar leaned her head closer to him, feeling his warm breath. Her lips met his.

Azriel placed his other hand on her cheek, while Briar placed her hand behind his neck to deepen the kiss.

The kiss wasn't long, but it was long enough.

Her cheeks were blushed when she pulled away.

She felt something click in her chest and her eyes widened. Azriel looked at her, a smile written across his face.

"We-... how?" she said, sitting up in the bed.

Azriel sat too. He let out a small wince, causing Briar to give him a worried look.

"We are mates?" she asked. She felt shocked. Briar always thought she wasn't worthy of a mate, and definitely not of Azriel.

"How long have you known?"

"A while.." he started, "I wanted to let you figure it out on your own. I was scared it might scare you."

"Azriel.." she whispered, her hand going to his cheek.

"I could never reject you." she said.

"I am sorry for not telling you, I wanted to give you time." he said, "I-.."