Thirty-four

——
Briar POV

Never in her entire life had a day gone by so quickly. They had spent the afternoon talking and laughing.

A few bottles of wine had been emptied by Mor and Cassian.

Around dinner time, Cassian finally left. None of them were sure if he could fly to the House, but he managed just fine.

Briar felt happy. She hadn't talked much, but listening to her family's conversations was more than enough.

Elain joined them during dinner, Nyx in her arms while she sat down. Elain had smiled softly at Briar from across the table.

Rhys was laughing at Mor, who clearly was drunk. He turned his head to Briar, his smile disappeared.

Azriel was seated next to her. She found Rhys glancing at him while Azriel shook his head. Briar gave them a questioned look.

"I don't want to bring down your mood, but there's something I... we need to ask." he said.

Briar swallowed. She knew it had to be discussed sooner or later. She gave the High Lord a nod.

"Your father and brother." he started, "We want you to decide what to do with them."

"I-.." she had told herself she didn't care a few days ago, but maybe she did care. "I need to think about it." she said while playing with her hands in her lap.

She felt the happiness in her disappear as she found herself thinking back to those awful moments.

She wanted her father and brother to suffer like she did, but at the same time, she didn't want anyone to feel like she had.

All the thoughts were too much.

"Take your time." Rhys said. He gave her an encouraging smile. Briar gave a smile back, her mouth tight.

A shadow crept up her wrist, curling around her arm. She found Azriel looking at her, a comforting smile on his face.

Her mate, she realized. She had accepted the bond this morning. It was real.

She loved him, she really did. But everything was so... new. Something she hadn't experienced before. It felt a bit weird and unreal.

Azriel must've felt her feelings through the bond. His smile disappeared, but he kept his face soft.

Briar felt embarrassed to let those thoughts slip through. She didn't want to upset him with her feelings.

The room started feeling uncomfortable. Mor had started rambling to poor Elain while Feyre gave Rhys a death glare for asking the question.

Briar stood from her chair and made her way out of the room. She could feel Azriel follow her, but she didn't want to let him know that.

She made her way into her old room. Also something she had to think about, moving her stuff into Azriel's room.

She didn't know if she wanted to.

With the door locked, she undressed and put on something she felt more comfortable in.

The first thing she pulled out of the drawer, was a light blue sweater. She still had a pair of black sweatpants on her chair, which she also put on.

Azriel was definitely waiting outside. She could sense him from far away.

She unlocked the door and opened it softly. Azriel was indeed leaning against the wall next to the door.

A soft smile was written on Azriel's face as he saw her. She tried to give a smile back, but it wasn't a very convincing one.

The hallway was quiet, except for their voices.

"Come here." he said as he wrapped his arms around her.

Briar immediately tightened her own arms around his waist as she rested her head against his chest.

"You know I won't force you into anything."

Briar nodded against his chest.

He started rubbing soft circles against her back. "I know this is all very new for you-" it was like he had read her thoughts, ", but we can take things slow."

Briar nodded again.

"Just let me know if something makes you uncomfortable." he placed a kiss on top of her head.

"Thank you." she muttered.

Azriel took a step back. A grin written on his face. "We should go to the roof."

Briar remembered what they'd planned earlier.

Something they used to do when she first got here. Briar would find Azriel on the roof. They would just sit in silence.

——
Azriel POV

He had felt her emotions through the bond during dinner.

The fear and the pain while the memories flashed before her eyes and the confusion about their bond.

He knew she didn't mean to hurt him, that it was all very confusing to her. So, he wouldn't push her. He would let her know he was here. That she could talk to him.

They were both seated on the edge of the roof. The river house was big and the roof was high.

Briar sat against his side, his arm wrapped around her body, holding her closely.

The stars twinkled in the sky.

Briar's face was focused on them. Her eyes glistered with something he couldn't name.

Azriel found himself staring at her face.

Her face had become fuller, cheekbones still showing. She looked more healthy.

She did look Illyrian with her dark brown hair and brown eyes. She was beautiful. He had told himself she was beautiful since the day they'd met.

Even with all the blood on her that day, he'd admired her.

Briar must've felt his stare. She turned her head from the sky to his face, A small smile now written on her face, her eyes still glistering.

"You know staring is rude." she said, her smile turning into a grin.

"I didn't know staring at the person you love is rude."

Her cheeks turned red as she looked away, almost shyly.