Fourteen

TW: mention of depression and depressive episode.

——

Azriel POV

No one had spoken to Briar. She hadn't come out of her room for four days now. She barely ate and his shadows told him when she cried.

He could feel it too, somehow.

Feyre and Mor had tried to talk to her, but she only answered their questions with nods. Rhys and Azriel stayed out of her room. Azriel was not sure what to say to her.

Rhys hadn't told him what exactly happened to her. He kept her secret safe, which Azriel appreciated.

Something in her got triggered and pulled her back into a dark place.

Azriel's shadows hadn't warned him about any nightmares, but he could feel something was off.

He was now in the training ring, with Cassian. Rhys had trained with them earlier, but had to get back to babysitting his son, Feyre being off to her painting classes.

It was already getting late. They had been using each other as punching bags for hours now.

Cassian called it off, even though Azriel still felt very frustrated. He didn't know why.

Cassian grabbed a bottle of water and tossed it over to Azriel.

"You can try to talk to her." he said.

Azriel almost spit out his water, "Why would you think I want to talk to her?"

"It's pretty obvious. You have been off since the incident." Cassian said.

Azriel didn't say anything back.

Nesta came walking into the ring, eyes fixed on Cassian. She just pulled him with her.

Cassian threw a wink over his shoulder and went off to doing god knows what.

——

Azriel flew back to the river house, getting into the bath quickly and changing into more comfortable clothes.

The day after the incident, he had searched for Briar's father and brother. He got home with nothing. One of the things that made him frustrated.

Yesterday, he had done the same thing. He had only found an old fire, but it could be from anyone.

Rhys had told him he hadn't heard anything from Keir either.

Azriel made his way out of his room, now facing Briar's door. Something told him to go inside.

He knocked twice, waiting for an answer.

No one opened the door.

"Briar?" he asked, hoping she would hear him.

He waited, but no one came.

He almost felt disappointed as he turned away. Just before he wanted to walk away, he heard the door lock open. Briar opened the door.

She was wearing a sweater and the same pair of sweatpants she had been wearing for days. Her hair was tied back and there were dark circles under her eyes. Her face was pale. Way too pale.

She was thin, thinner than she already was.

"May I come in?" Azriel asked.

Her face was blank, no emotions written on it. He could see the pain and sadness in her eyes.

She let Azriel close the door while she climbed back into her bed.

Azriel looked around the room. He was surprised to find it this clean.