Four

——
Azriel POV

Azriel and Cassian were flying to the camp they got word from. They didn't know what they were looking for.

"Have you ever been to this camp?" Azriel shook his head.

He didn't like going to the camps, but this seemed urgent.

"This camp is one of the worst. Don't be flattered by what you see." he could see the rage in his brother's eyes, already expecting the worst.

The camp wasn't too far into the mountains.

They landed in the middle of the camp, it was quiet.

A puddle of blood lay in the middle of the area they stood. Cassian's eyes locked with Azriel's.

His shadows started whispering. He couldn't make out the sentences, but he managed to catch the word 'cell'.

"We need to look into the cells." Cassian nodded.

They walked towards the tent of the camp Lord, his name was Horar. A mad man.

They walked inside and found him talking to a man. Horar waved the Illyrian away.

"To what do I owe this pleasure, General." Azriel hated this man.

"We received word about some disturbing events." he said. Not his brother's voice, a Generals voice.

"We would like to see your cells." Azriel could've sworn he saw something flicker in Horar's eyes.

He led them to a staircase, into the ground. Their own little prison.

Horar passed Cassian a key. "This opens every single one." he said and disappeared again. The male was avoiding something.

They walked down the stairs. There were 5 cells on each side, isolated from the world.

It was freezing down there, only two torches alight.

Cassian grabbed one. "Looks like fun in here."

Cassian opened the first three cells, they were empty and cleaned.

On the other side they were all empty. Only the fourth one on the right side was used.

Cassian opened the door. It was dark inside.

He stepped inside, letting the torch show the room. Azriel stepped beside him.

What they saw, made Azriels stomach turn. He could've sworn Cassians face turned pale.

A woman was seated on the floor. Dried blood all around her in. She was Illyrian, she had round ears. But she didn't have any wings.

"Do you think?—" Cassian's eyes were still on the woman. She was sleeping or passed out, her face scrunched in pain and covered in blood.

"They cut off her wings." Azriel didn't want to say the sentence aloud, but he still did.

The woman didn't move, but she was breathing.

"We need to take her to Velaris. She needs real medical help." Cassian walked towards her and picked her up.

"What if she is dangerous?" Azriel knew they had to help her, but he still needed to be sure.

"I don't care." Cassian walked out of the cell, Azriel following him.

They could see two blood stained places on the back of her shirt, where her wings should've been.

Cassian walked outside, holding her in his arms.