Thirty-one

TW: body images, scars
——
Briar POV

Briar had cried herself to sleep last night, Azriel humming softly to her until she drifted away.

She woke up before Azriel. Her head pounded and her back throbbed.

Normally, she would get out of bed the minute she woke up. But she couldn't bring herself to.

She would bathe when Azriel was awake. She hadn't bathed in weeks now, even though Madja had cleaned her up.

She wanted to go back to bed right after.

Briar didn't feel like talking to anyone in the Inner Circle. They probably already knew what happened, no need for her to tell them the same story again.

Briar noticed one thing on Azriel's face. He looked more well rested. Yesterday, he had looked exhausted. As if he hadn't slept in weeks.

"What are you thinking about?"

Briar's eyes snapped to his. She hadn't noticed him waking up. His wing was still laying over her like a blanket.

"Just.. thinking." she said.

Azriel hummed. "Are you feeling better?"

Briar nodded softly, "Yes." she quickly said.

Azriel's eyes narrowed, "Don't lie to me."

"I feel like shit." she sighed.

"I'm glad to hear you talk just like you talked before." Azriel smiled at her.

Briar let out a soft nervous laugh.

"Does your wound still hurt?" he asked with a worried look.

She shook her head, "I think it has fully healed. My back still hurts though."

She hadn't seen the scars on her back. She wanted to. Maybe she would take a look later.

"Do you want to do anything? Do I need to stay with you?" he asked.

Briar shook her head again, "Just do your own thing. I'll be fine."

"I only need to talk to Rhys. I'll be back after."

Briar nodded and muttered a small okay. "I'm going to bathe in my... old room." she said.

Azriel placed a kiss on her forehead before she left the bed.

——
Azriel POV

He had noticed the look on her face earlier. He could still see the fear and pain in her eyes. She looked a bit lost and confused.

Briar had told him she was okay, but she clearly wasn't.

He wasn't only worried about her healing, but also about her mental state.

Azriel found Rhys in the kitchen, Nyx sitting on his lap.

"You look a lot better." Rhys said with a grin.

Azriel muttered a small thank you before sitting down. "She's awake."

"Is everything okay?" Rhys asked.

Azriel shook his head, "She said she's fine. She acts like it." he said, "I think she's trying to hide it."

"What makes you think that?"

"The way she acts." Azriel said. "I found her crying and shaking in the bathroom last night, after she had just woken up. Now she acts like nothing happened."

"She's trying to figure it all out." Rhys said. "Stay by her side. Make sure she knows you're there for her."

Azriel gave him a small nod.