Thirty-three

——
Azriel POV

Briar wasn't in the bed when Azriel woke up.

His heart started racing as he jumped off the bed and checked the bathroom, thinking she had woken up from a nightmare.

Just as he opened the door to the bathroom, the door to his room opened.

He turned around and found Briar walking in.

She had a soft smile written on her face, "What are you doing?"

He remembered what she had said the night before. That he would get breakfast. She wanted to accept the mating bond.

"I thought you..." he said. He shook his head, "It doesn't matter."

Briar walked over to the bed and placed a plate on it.

The plate had pancakes with blueberries on it. It looked and smelled delicious.

"Elain helped me." she said while pointing at the plate. "I hope that doesn't matter."

Azriel noticed the friendship that started to grow between Elain and Briar. Elain wasn't much of a talker, but around Briar she was very talkative. Briar loved to listen while she helped Elain in her garden.

Azriel walked over to where she stood and sat down next to where she placed the plate.

He smiled at her, "As long as it tastes good." Briar snorted.

Azriel placed the plate on his lap and grabbed the fork. He took a bite from the pancake. It did taste good.

He found Briar looking at him, her hands behind her back. She looked nervous.

"You want some?"

Briar shook her head, "I already ate." she said.

Azriel finished the pancakes and placed the plate on the ground.

Briar still stood before him, so he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her into his lap.

"You should cook more often." he said, earning a laugh from Briar.

"I don't think you want me to."

Azriel pulled her in for a kiss. Just as their lips met, he could feel the bond snap into place. Like the final piece had settled.

He could feel her feelings before, but now, he could even feel them stronger. Happiness flowed through the bond.

Briar pulled away and rested her forehead against his.

"You know," he started, "Nesta gave a biscuit to Cassian.

Briar laughed. "I can see her do that."

"What will the others think now that we are.. mated?" she asked softly.

"They will be very happy and probably want to throw a party." he said. Briar's smile faded. "But, we aren't going to do that."

She let out a nervous laugh.

"We don't have to do anything, okay?" Azriel said, "It's okay like this."

Briar nodded. Maybe in the future."

Azriel smiled and pulled her closer.

——
Briar POV

Azriel had left a few minutes earlier, saying he needed to go with Cassian to some of the Illyrian camps.

Briar got dressed in something other than sweatpants and a normal shirt.

She pulled black pants out of her dresser. A sweater with a deep shade of blue color caught her eye. She put both pieces on.