Chapter 68: Wonder Weapon

Start from the beginning

Together, this council made decisions for the entire community, such as the decision to ally with the Gra Valkans and share their knowledge. Having finalized the deal for Gra Valkan research, the council convened once more to discuss the contents of the enormous data package they received. Boxes of textbooks and reports corresponding to Project Mjolnir stacked to the ceiling while council members debated the ramifications of continued friendship with the Gra Valkans.

Concerned over deteriorating relations with Mu, a portion of the council protested against exclusivity. "We already have what we asked for! There is no further reason to pursue closer bonds with these strangers!" A blue suited woman asserted her position.

"No further reason, you say?" A man in a red suit asked with a posh accent. "Doctor Halberd, reality shows quite the opposite. These technologies are but a fraction of the wonders in their libraries. Why stop here when we can secure more?"

"Doctor Neumann," Halberd sighed, "I implore you to see reason. This greed can only be satisfied with a heavy price," she said widely. "Should we entertain your fantasies, we will be giving up most of our secrets! Not only that, we will be forfeiting opportunities with the Muans, Mirishials, and potentially even the Americans!"

Heads turned, mouths remaining still. The council members looked at each other, digesting Halberd's worries. It was no secret that the Elysian Defense Initiative and the Gra Valkas Empire were beginning to exhibit distinct rivalry. Both sides had already begun to carve up nations and drag them into their own spheres of influence, with the Gra Valkans taking over Leifor, her subsidiaries, and the Conshal Islands. In response, the Muans began consolidating their allied factions and the Mirishials finally exerted the power of their reputation. Even the Americans weren't shy of such imperialism, despite their democratic ways. After the Parpaldian-American War, they essentially brought the entire Third Civilized Region into their fold.

While everyone agreed that gaining the favor of the Gra Valkan Empire over the Muans and Mirishials was preferable, not everyone thought it was a good idea to sacrifice a relationship with the Americans. Recognizing this, Neumann fired back before his argument lost support. "Exchanging our secrets for secrets of the Gra Valkans' own is a profitable exchange, considering their level of technology. Doing so will elevate our own understanding of both magic and science, freeing us from our reliance on Muan and Mirishial scraps!" He boldly declared. He relished in the quality of his words, confident that he could dissuade any worries about losing Muan and Mirishial goods.

However, the elephant in the room still remained as an ever-present, looming shadow. Neumann continued, "With regards to the Americans, we can anticipate how they will react by studying their standard foreign policy. Analyses of American relations with Qua Toyne, Quila, and the Philadean nations show a disposition for economic friendliness, including establishing infrastructure. They've shown no inclination toward sharing their technologies, even prohibiting the export of textbooks."

Halberd stopped Neumann from talking further, "Hold on, that's an assumption that completely ignores diplomatic deals! This prohibition — it only applies to civilian travelers. We've heard of Muan and Mirishial officials finding access to American libraries and textbooks. Ask yourself, why would Mu and the Holy Mirishial Empire engage in close trade with the Americans?"

"Bah," Neumann scoffed. "What you speak of is mere hearsay! You have no conclusive evidence for such dealings!"

"You only need to ask the Oracles! Their operatives have seen sights that corroborate my claims."

"A fascinating stall tactic, Doctor Halberd," Neumann shot.

Before he could tear down the credibility of Halberd's claim, the Dean himself stepped in. "Halberd's claims do indeed find truth with the Oracles' findings overseas. However, we may not assume that the Americans would be so kind as to simply grant us their best technologies. They will likely ask for something in return, much like they've done with the Mirishials. Doctor Halberd, what can we offer them, and what can we expect in return?"

Doctor Halberd cooled down, brushing strands of brown hair from her face before answering, "Sir Dean, I believe that we can offer the Americans the same materials we have traded the Gra Valkans. They too are interested in studying magic, as evidenced by their activities with their neighbors and the Mirishials. While competing with Mirishial technology is an arduous task, we still maintain one advantage: we know best how to integrate magic with science. If they haven't yet established the basic principles, we may guide them in exchange for technologies. If they prefer us to favor them over the Gra Valkans, then we may take a calculated risk on diplomacy; we may request for even more concessions. If they want the Magikareich Community's support, they will have to provide us with technologies more advanced than whatever we are receiving from the Gra Valkans."

The council members emitted a series of nods, excited over the prospect of receiving American technology. Like the laws of gravity, it was obvious that the Americans possessed greater scientific understanding than both the Muans and Gra Valkans. If the Magikareich could secure a mutually beneficial relationship with the Americans, then they wouldn't need the Gra Valkans' help.

Neumann's eyes twitched at the thought of losing their relationship with the Gra Valkans — and by extension, his lucrative and very profitable projects. Desperately grasping at straws, he eventually found one that could salvage his position, or at least delay the inevitable until he milked as much as he could from the Gra Valkans. "This prospect, Doctor Halberd, is an enticing one indeed. I find myself inclined to agree with you on this, but there still lingers a valid concern."

Halberd raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms. "And what would that be?"

"Our relationship with the Gra Valkans is already established. We cannot abandon what we have for misguided optimism. What if the Americans do not accept our proposals? We are then left with neither Gra Valkan nor American technologies. Or Muan technologies, or Mirishial technologies."

Halberd was left speechless, unable to construct a counter for Neumann's concern. Already, she noticed more and more council members beginning to agree with his concerns. With nothing to say, she simply nodded and sat down in her seat.

Neumann looked at the dean, a white-haired man dressed in a gold suit. "Sir Dean?"

The dean concluded the debate. "I have come to a settlement. Both sides make excellent points, and should any of you find my proposal inadequate, you may submit a new proposal of your own." He raised a finger. "Now, what I propose is a compromise between Halberd's view and Neumann's view. We cannot disregard the potential of acquiring American knowledge, but we also cannot disregard the tangible boons granted by our current engagements with the Gra Valkans. We require more information before making a decision, so I propose we maintain current relations with the Gra Valkans while also growing closer with the Americans. We shall implement this strategy immediately, to be ceased and revisited only if either side presents us with an ultimatum. Any other proposals?"

Everyone shook their heads.

"Very well. We shall now vote on this proposal. Doctor Halberd in favor?"

Halberd stood up from her seat, proudly saying her position. "Aye."

The dean recorded the vote on a sheet of paper. "Doctor Neumann in favor?"

Neumann didn't prefer the conditions of the proposal, but recognized it as a win. It was better than nothing. Reluctantly, he submitted his vote. "Aye."

The dean continued the voting process with the ten other council members. "It seems we have a unanimous consensus. This is now official: the Magikareich Community will seek to maintain current relations with the Gra Valkan Empire. While doing so, we will foster relations with the Americans until we are issued an ultimatum, or reach a final decision. Council members, we will convene every month to review our positions. At any time, you may confirm or rescind your vote. Once there are twelve confirmed votes, we will proceed with the elected plan. If there is a tie, we will once more review the votes, in case anyone wishes to change theirs. If there still remains a tie, then I shall mediate and decide." The dean then used a gavel, signaling the conclusion of their meeting. "This convention is now adjourned. You are all dismissed."

——

Author's Note:

Interested in discussing the story or asking questions? Join my discord server!

Discord: https://discord.gg/ymbTbNw
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

I post extra free chapters for every $50 in total donations as appreciation for your support!
Check out my Patreon for more details!