Chapter 15.1 | Her promise

It has been a full day since Sofia left and she hasn't returned yet.

Her absence could be felt everywhere, especially the Lacuerte residence. The solemn silence unerved Eleana's poor heart.

The young girl found herself pacing around Y/n's room in worry, her hands never still and her mind always thinking.

The child sitting on her bed across watched her with confusion. Eleana hadn't spoken for minutes since her mother entered the room with the news about Sofia.

And how some of the men had gone to the forest to look for her.

Y/n continued to watch Eleana as she went from one side to the other, muttering to herself, whispering words she couldn't comprehend.

Eventually, Y/n grew dizzy for Eleana.

"Eleana, why are you walking so much?" She asked, her cousin stopped in her tracks to look at her with a undisclosed look on her face.

"Um... nothing really. Just um- worried." She said with her eyes looking anywhere but at Y/n. She walked over to her cousin and sat next to her.

"You should go to bed. We can go to the plaza tomorrow morning if you want." She said softly to the young girl whilst already tucking her in in her bed.

"Do you think Camillo will be there?" Y/n asked innocently. Eleana chuckled and brushed Y/n's hair away from her face.

"I'm sure he'll be there." She said patting her hand as she sang her a lullaby Sofia would sing every night.

As the moon lights up the sky
Let me sing a lullaby

Sleep and dream amongst the stars
Let no worry near your heart.

Sleep tight and wake tomorrow dawn
Run and play under the sun.

Till then let you rest peacefully, I'll be right here if ever you need me~

"Good night, Prima." Eleana whispered before walking to the door.

"Eleana," Y/n called, Eleana turned with a humm. "When will Sofia come back?" She asked.

Eleana tried to stop the tears from falling and mustered a short answer, "Soon, little flower. Soon."

She left the room and rushed her to her own. Falling to the floor as she entered and sobbed quietly, clasping her hand over her mouth to silence the cries.

(describe the state of family)

"How am I going to do this, Sofia?" She whispered, "It's already hard and it's barely begun..."

~ ○ 💔 ○ ~

"Promise me, Eleana." Sofia held both of her cousin's hands tight and begged her. "You'll protect Y/n while I'm gone. You have to promise me."

Eleana hesitated, looking to the window leading to Y/n's room. She massaged her hands and tried to easy her breathe but her mind was in disarray.

The answer was clear yet she dithered to speak. If she did it would affirm Sofia's journey.

It would make what she feared a reality. Sofia would go, with no promise of return.

Still, Eleana nodded.

"I promise, Sofia. I'll protect her." She affirmed but she wasn't exactly sure how.