Chapter 5 | Abborajados

If I could describe this dinner in one word it would be-

Awkward.

Even more so because no one was comfortably talking. As if It was forbidden to even speak. I don't even think you can consider this as a family dinner.

I looked around where it was only Abuela and Mrs. Guzman was talking, Mirabel was busy staring at Dolores with a stiff posture, and I was busy focusing at the fact I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE.

Camillo passed me the bowl and I took it carefully, pouring some food on my plate. I waited for anyone else to dig in. Camillo, of course, doing it first.

"Avocado?" Mariano asked Mirabel and almost immediately Dolores turned to me and whispered to my ear.

"Mirabel found Bruno's vision and she says she's going to destroy the magic." My eyes widened at the news. That couldn't be right?

Mirabel wouldn't destroy the magic, She loves this family too much. I looked at Mirabel who gave me a begging look as if to say to not say anything.

But I was torn.

It wasn't a choice I had the freedom to choose. I think the family needs to know. This secret is too dangerous to keep, what if doing nothing will fulfill the vision? Or my own vision comes true.

Maybe Abuela can do something about it.

I turned to Camillo and whispered to his ear, "Mirabel found Bruno's vision and she's in it." Camillo's face shifted into multiple faces. Specifically Mirabel's and Bruno's before resting on a distorted version of his face.

"Y/n.." I heard Mirabel say under her breath.

Abuela and Mrs. Guzman stared at his face before Abuela quickly poured more wine.

"Camillo, fix your face." Tio Felix reprimanded, Camillo shifted back and gave everyone a nervous smile before turning to me as if to say I'm sure.

I nodded to Dolores as a confirmation.

Camillo then turned to Tio Felix and told him. Making him spit out his drink across the table.

Mariano froze, trying to process how he'd react knowing he won't be eating for the rest of the night. I, however, already pushed my plate as I lost my appetite.

I fixed myself in the seat and faced Isabella with a forced smile, she smiled back with a skeptical look. I looked away.

Once the news reached Tia Pepa, a storm cloud formed above the table.

"Pepa," Abuela said, "The cloud."

Tia Pepa brushed her braids in panic, "Clear skies, clear skies." She repeated.

Eventually, the news reached Tia Julieta who gasped and looked at Mirabel nervously taking a sip before ducking down the table.

My eyes scanned the room as my heart began to beat faster and I couldn't help but tap on the table quietly.

Did I make a mistake?

Camillo hand found it's way to mine under the table and I could feel his hand shake. I squeezed it softly. He looked at me and gave me a short grin.

"Mirabel," Mariano said, causing Mirabel to hit her head on the table, I winced. "Are you okay?" He asked. Mirabel paused trying to speak when Tio Agustin intervened.

"She's fine. She's just excited. For you, to propose. Which you should do as soon as you can." He said and Mirabel nodded vigorously.

"Actually, I was gonna-" Mariano started when Mirabel stood up.