Chapter 3 | Bunuelos and a busy day

Mirabel led the crowd out of the room and pointed all over the place claiming there were cracks everywhere.

My own pain had already disappeared but the more Mirabel explained what had happened the more I began to believe her. The pain and the house cracking, it ties together somehow. It had to be.

Abuela gaped at Mirabel, before turning to the rest of the crowd. "The magic is strong...and so are the drinks." The crowd laughed.

"There is nothing wrong with the house," Aburla then shot Mirabel a look before ushering everyone back to Antonio's room.

I decided to stay behind, I wasn't exactly fitting to go back with the lingering pain in my ribs, So I walked over to Mirabel with Tia Julieta right behind me.

"Mirabel," I went to grab her hand but she flinched as soon I touched her palm. Tia Julieta went to look at it and there was a deep cut at the center.

She pulled us to the kitchen where she began cooking arepas.

"I know what I saw." Mirabel started.

Tia Julieta stayed quiet.

"If it was all in my head, how did I cut my hand? I would never ruin Antonio's night. Is that really what you think?"

Tia Julieta wiped off the flour from her hands and walked over to Mirabel. I stood by the stove eyeing the food. "What I think is that tonight was very hard for you."

"That's- I was looking out for the family. And I might not be super strong like Louisa or effortlessly perfect like Isabella but," She paused, "Whatever." Casita delivered the food to them and me.

I took one and practically shoved the entire thing into my mouth.

"You're just as special as anyone else in this family." Tia Julieta said softly in attempts to comfort Mirabel.

Mirabel looked at her mother in disbelief, holding up the arepa.

"Mhm. You just healed me with an arepa con queso."

Tia Julieta paused before sighing, "Get some sleep, you'll feel better in the morning." [A/n I know this isn't the original line but bear with me.]

Mirabel sighed before waving at me to come with her. I passed by Tia Julieta.

"Thank you for the food." I told her before catching up to Mirabel.

"Mirabel, I believe you." I told her as we exited the kitchen. Mirabel swiftly turned to me, "Before you ran to talk about the house, I felt weak. Like it was back again. Not like the one yesterday. It was worse."

She paused before holding on both my shoulders with worry in her eyes.

"Y/n, What if something bad is about to happen? What if it'll not only affect my family but also you." She held both my shoulders with worry in her eyes.

I rest my own hands on hers, "Whatever it is, I know you'll solve it and whenever you need help, I'm here." I chirped.

Mirabel smiled and let go. "That's why you're my friend. You better promise me you'll tell me when you feel any pain again, alright?"

I pressed my hand to my chest, "I promise."

...

The party was over and everyone began to file out of the house, I was walking on my own.

Why?

Because Eleana and Jaime decided to go ahead without me. The nerve of them honestly.

I crossed my arms as Casita waved goodbye, I waved back and walked down the brick road. I was walking down quietly when I heard a rustle in the trees. An unusual rustle.