He hesitated before he sighed, "Those witches were curious about you. They called you a name, although, I don't quite understand what it means: a lost soul."

             "It would explain why the witches took me and locked me up with Rebekah," she said. "We'll have to figure out what it means."

              "I know," his voice was melancholy as he grabbed her hand on the center console, he held it for a moment before bringing it to his lips and he laid a gentle kiss on her knuckles. "I'll fix it. I'll fix everything."

               She knew he meant it as a promise and that he was thinking of her on the staircase and how broken she looked. But she didn't want him to promise. She didn't want to be just another weight that he carried.

She brought her hand up to cradle his cheek which made him gaze at her. Those brown eyes. And for a moment it felt like it used to. She felt like his eyes were hers to gaze into and a balloon inflated inside her chest with the joy of a thousand smiles.

God, did she love him. She shook her head at him with a small smile as she let her hand drop, "I don't want you to fix me....like I can go back to what I was."

"Then what would you have me do?"

"Love me..." she suggested hesitantly. "...until I'm no longer afraid of the dark."

He had noticed her uneasiness in the darkness. She had requested a candle stayed lit all night long. Even then, she still could hardly close her eyes. It made him sad that he didn't know what ailed her.

                He smiled (and every smile came so easily in her presence like breathing), "My task is entirely too easy. Loving you comes naturally."

               She smiled and leaned over the center console, kissing him softly, relishing in the feel of the way her heart pounded against her chest like a drumbeat. Alive, well, happy.

              _____

             "There you are. Finally," Klaus commented as they walked into the dining room. He smirked once he saw Jenny.

               "So I assume your late arrival is because of the spectacular evening you had, brother?" Klaus teased.

                 Jenny picked up a grape from the table and threw it at him. He dodged it with a chuckle. Elijah held a small smirk as Jenny spoke, "Is your mind always in the gutter?"

                 "For the better part of a thousand years. I've learned to ignore him," Elijah answered.

Klaus only rolled his eyes and teased again, "So is that a denial?"

Jenny blushed and looked away while Elijah sighed, "Niklaus."

"Fine, fine. Our guest should be arriving shortly."

"Strange, our house is conspicuously absent of our lupine guests," Elijah commented.

"I sent Hayley and her poorly groomed husband off to spend the day with their werewolf brethren to test the limits of their new abilities. Leaving me to deal with family business as I see fit," Klaus informed.

"And I let the two of you handle that," Jenny said as she started to leave the room.

"Where are you going?" Elijah questioned as he reached for her hand, halting her.