18

Jenny had been depressed since getting fired. Damon had let her cry into his shoulder as he held her.

"That's the only thing I've ever wanted," Jenny sniffled. "And now I can't even have that."

"I'm sure you'll find something else," Damon assured her. "You were too good for them anyways."

Damon wasn't like Jenna. He couldn't cheer her up immediately but he tried. He even bought her a tub of ice cream to drown her sorrows in. He got her to smile then.

_____

Jenny was moping around alone when a knock came to her door. She opened it to find no one there. But there was a white box wrapped in a bow with an envelope on top.

She picked up both items and stepped back inside. Her name was written in elegant scrawl on the envelope. She set the box on the counter before opening the envelope to find an invitation to a Mikaelson ball being thrown tonight.

She turned the card over to find writing. She nearly dropped it when she saw who it was from.

Forgive me
-Elijah

Elijah. Her chest ached at the thought of him. She looked at the box and unwrapped the bow before opening it. A stunning red ball gown lied inside and she shut it quickly.

"He did not," she breathed deeply before opening it just slightly, peeking inside and nearly having a heart attack at the glittering jewels on the dress. "Are those diamonds?"

She shut it again. She shook her head. She didn't know whether to throttle him for getting her something so expensive or swoon over the fact that he did. Perhaps she'd do both.

A million thoughts ran her through head. The biggest one was that he had, indeed, returned and he hadn't come to see her; there was just an attempt at an apology on a card.

And then there was the question of if she'd even go. But really there was no question. She'd go to confront Elijah, whether that was in fury or not was entirely up to him.

          A phone call distracted her from her thoughts as she picked it up only to hear Damon, "Please don't tell me you got invited to this stupid ball?"

           "Um, yes," she answered in fear.

He groaned, "So I assume you're going?"

"Be my wingman," she pleaded.

"What? You think I was going to let you go alone," he said. "I'll pick you up tonight."

"Thank you," she smiled.

       ______

         Wearing this ball gown made her feel like she was living in a fairytale. This dress that was rather form fitting, instead of the typical poofy gowns, was made for a princess it seemed. It made her feel special and all sorts of nervous.

She took a deep breath once she heard a knock on the door. She opened it to find a man in a tuxedo. It was Elijah.

His breath caught in his throat as gazed at her. Jenny fixed him with a steely gaze and crossed her arms, "Mikaelson suits you much better than Smith. Why are you here?"

"I was going to leave you in peace but then I imagined you'd show up with another man on your arm," he said as he imagined Damon Salvatore escorting her which made him clench his jaw. "Or you wouldn't show up altogether."