19

Dear Elena,

So much of my life has revolved around your family; so much so that you are my family, my niece. You have lost everyone in your life and I'm sorry that I'm leaving but if there is one piece of advice I can give you: it's to be happy.

And that's why I'm going away. I'll admit I was hesitant in doing so but I figured Jenna would've shoved me out the door. The least I can I do is honor her wishes. Don't worry, I'll send many letters.

Love,
Jenny
P.S. Don't forget to tell Jeremy.

The next day after the ball, Elijah returned to his home. Although, she had kissed him many times before that.

Elijah hadn't wanted to leave her presence and go back to reality. A reality where he suspected ulterior motives of his mother.

______

The day waned on for Jenny. She was quite bored. She had no idea of the supernatural business going on. She had no idea Elijah used to Elena to make the Salvatores do his bidding to stop Esther.

So when she opened her door that evening to a stone-faced Elijah, she was quite perplexed. Her smile dimmed.

"What's wrong?" she questioned in worry.

He sighed, "I'm leaving town, Jenny."

"Leaving?" she clenched her jaw in anger and shook her head. "You keep leaving. What am I supposed to do with that?"

His eyes flickered with emotion before his heart spoke for him, surprising him. He uttered a phrase that changed everything, for everyone.

"Come with me."

Her breath was stolen. He looked at her like the fate of the universe lied in her answer. And she didn't know what to say.

______

Jenny told Elijah that she'd think about it and went to visit Damon.

"Elijah asked me to leave town with him," Jenny said nervously. "But no matter how mad I am at you right now, I'm your friend and friends don't leave friends."

       Damon never thought he could love her more than he did in that moment. He'd never had someone who valued him the way that she did. And he never thought he'd be the first choice by being a friend.

      Damon sighed and looked at her with a halfhearted smirk, "Jen, I love you and I'm selfish and I'm bad for you. But he isn't."

       Jenny stilled as he said that; she looked at him skeptically that he was actually telling her the right thing. But he knew Elijah made her happy and Damon was supposed to make sure she got happiness.

       Damon lost the smirk on his face and he looked so serious with his intense blue eyes, "You should go live your life, Jenny. If running off into the sunset with Elijah is what you want to do, I want you to do it. No matter how much it grosses me out that you like Elijah, I'm not letting you miss out on your life to waste it on me."

    "Damon," she had tears in her eyes and she walked over to him quickly, hugging him. "My life wouldn't be wasted. Don't think of yourself like that. You're my friend and I love you, nothing could ever be wasted on you."

      Damon wrapped his arms around her tightly. He didn't realize how much he would miss her until now. She was one of the best things that ever happened to him. He loved that stupid smile of hers and how it automatically made him feel ten times better when he saw it.

     "I'm going to miss you," she said.

      "You too," Damon said, muffled by her hair and then he pulled away. "Go off with your Prince Charming now."

     Damon turned away from her and she smiled sadly at him before turning and leaving. He looked at her retreating figure thinking of how crazy it was he was letting her go off with Elijah when he didn't trust him. But it was impossible not to like Jenny, and he trusted that.

    "Well, go on, Stef. Say what you're gonna say," Damon said as he knew Stefan heard the whole thing and probably saw it all, too.

     "It's nice that you care that much," Stefan smiled.

    "Yeah, well, she's gone now. Elijah became a lucky man."

      ____

        Jenny thought she'd be nervous to leave Mystic Falls. It was her home after all but actually doing it felt entirely different. Looking over at Elijah who was holding her hand on the center console while he drove, she knew why it was easy. Just looking at him made her smile.

          She remembered when she met him, feeling like she took a step into a big adventure. It had turned out to be a lovely adventure. Now they were going off on one of their own and whether this one would be for better or for worse (or perhaps both), they'd find out.

AN: I know this was short. But we're now entering the final half of part one. We probably got about 10 or so chapters left until part two.
Updates will be kinda slow because I'm going off into my own plot.