22

Elijah Mikaelson didn't want to love and be loved in return knowing inevitably how it ended. But the moment he met Jenny Stevens none of that mattered; all caution was thrown away just to see her smile.

         He may not have been in love with her at first sight but he loved her smile. It was most beautiful thing he'd ever laid eyes on. Then he fell in love with her and everything about her became beautiful. Perhaps that was love; loving someone so much that the only beauty in the world was her.

           Nothing could compare. Not a garden, not a view from the Eiffel Tower, it was just her and her alone. It was like she became the single color in the world and his heart that was black and white only wanted her.

            So when her life was being threatened, he let his monstrous heart shine. There were a lot of dead bodies left in his wake just to get to her and get to her he did.

          _____

          Stay. That was Jenny was told to do as she was pushed into a chair. And she was very surprised when she couldn't get up. She felt she was on the verge of hyperventilating.

            She was breathing heavily in shock. The man who took her said he wanted to get to Elijah. She thought maybe the way he gained his wealth formed a lot of enemies. But...then there were fangs that bit into her skin and she screamed.

            So, yes, she was breathing heavily, trying to catch her breath, trying to wrap her head around reality. She wasn't sure how long she'd been there. Maybe it was hours, maybe it was days. All she knew was that she couldn't leave and she felt like she couldn't breathe.

            There were tear stains down her cheeks but she had stopped sobbing. Now she was numb and losing her mind.

That was when she heard a familiar voice shout out her captor's name. It was angry and formidable but she felt relief.

Her captor grabbed her by the arm, pulling her up and he held her in front of him, his hand on her throat like a trigger. They were standing in the open spaced living room and his three lackeys were towards the entrance of the room.

Elijah waltzed into the room covered in blood and her eyes widened at the sight. She didn't why she was so surprised after all she'd seen after getting captured but Elijah was her safe place; her safe place was covered in blood.

"Elijah Mikaelson, you found us quickly," Francis uttered.

"Give her to me and I'll consider giving you a quick death," Elijah responded, his voice was strong, threatening, scary.

Francis gestured to his lackeys and they attacked. Elijah ripped the heart out of one before ripping out the hearts of the two others at the same time.

           "You think you can beat me with this?" Elijah gestured around him.

          "I don't need to beat you. You and your family slaughtered mine. Now I can't kill your family, but I can kill her," Francis spoke, his hand tightening around her throat and she started to choke. "With one little snap."

           Elijah clenched his jaw; although he was quick, he wouldn't be quick enough to save her from a snap of her neck.

           Maybe it was her fight or flight instinct kicking in. But her mind told her she really didn't want to die. So, she kicked him in the chin as hard as she could.

           He yelped in pain and in that moment of distraction, Elijah vamp sped and tore him away from her, holding him up by the throat.

             Jenny watched the scene in front of her play out as she clutched her neck, breathing deeply.

            "No one hurts her and lives," Elijah uttered before sticking his hand through the man's chest and pulling out his heart.

           He let go of Francis and the body crumbled to the ground in a heap, a dead heap. Elijah still held the heart in his hands, an actual heart, before he dropped it and he turned to her.

"Are you hurt?" his eyes were soft and full of concern but she didn't notice that. Her eyes were focused on his hand, his bloodied hand that ripped out hearts, reaching for her.

She flinched and took a step back. Elijah paused and dropped his hand, looking at her like she was a wounded bird, "Jenny, I'd never hurt you."

           She finally looked at his eyes and they were her warm brown eyes that she was so familiar with. She looked at the carnage around them: hearts, blood, bodies. She wondered how he could switch between monster and man so easily; or perhaps they were both the same but she just didn't know it before.

            She kept staring at the mess. Hearts. Blood. Bodies. She felt like her ears were ringing. Hearts, blood, bodies. She couldn't breathe right. Hearts, blood, bodies. Black spots encroached on her vision.

"Elijah...I-I don't feel okay," she uttered in a small, frightened voice as she swayed on her feet.

"Jenny, look at me," he said and she looked away from the bodies. She looked into his eyes, the ones that were so familiar but now felt so far away. They spoke of comfort and it grounded her for a moment. It grounded her enough for her to walk out without fainting.

          _____

              They were back in the apartment they were staying at. They had separate rooms in the same suite. Jenny felt quite numb now and no one had spoken a word although she could feel his gaze.

              She walked to her room like she was in a trance. But Elijah called out for her so gently. She stopped and turned her head.

              "Jenny, whatever you may think of me now," Elijah uttered with teary-eyed gaze feeling in his heart that he'd lost her forever. "Just know that I love you."

            I love you. A phrase that would've made butterflies erupt and the biggest smile form didn't do anything. Jenny didn't feel anything; she was too exhausted and in shock to feel anything. She just looked at the man who she really didn't know anymore, turned, and walked away.

AN: I really tricked ya'll with the last chapter. So no Jenny didn't die but she isn't taking this so well obviously.