01

When Jenny opened her eyes again, she didn't wake up in a grave. She didn't feel pain or how her blood had run cold from dying. Instead, she felt peace and sunlight.

Sunlight that was a million times brighter yet she wasn't blinded. She stood in the middle of the street that her house resided on. She was in Mystic Falls yet it seemed different somehow.

She walked slowly down the street finding there were no cars in sight. It was strange but that thought was erased from her mind once she reached her house and found someone she did not expect waiting on the porch.

           "Dad?"

           He looked up from the porch swing as she stepped onto the porch and he smiled, "My happy girl."

          He stood up and she smiled as tears formed in her eyes before running into his open arms feeling like a child. "Dad, I've...I've missed you so much."

             Before her father could comment, she heard the front door open. Jenny turned around, leaving her father's embrace. She was met with a woman who was smiling softly and looked so much like her.

              "Mom?" she questioned.

            "You grew to be so beautiful," she commented as she wiped a tear from her eye. "I wish I could've been there."

             "You're here now. I'm here," and she hugged the mother she never got to meet; the woman that shared the same smile.

              For so long she wished she could've met her mother and now she got her wish. Her father joined them in their hug. She was reunited with her family and it felt so close to peace.

____

She wasn't sure if it was hours or days; time moved weirdly here. But it didn't take long for her to visit someone else she lost.

"Jenna," she stated with a smile towards the woman who was sitting on the stairs to the porch of the Gilbert residence.

"I've been waiting for you," Jenna said with a smile and it was silent for a moment before the two best friends ran into each other's arms.

They hugged for a long moment before they pulled away and Jenny had some happy tears falling down her face. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you more. It's pretty boring around here," Jenna said before putting a hand on her hip. "Now, tell me, what did I miss?"

She told Jenna everything and it was like no time had passed between them at all. They talked, they laughed, they cried to the story of their lives (no movie necessary). And Jenny felt peace, for a moment.

_____

It wasn't hard to figure out she was in an afterlife. It was one where lost ones were found and in that joy it was home despite waiting on others.

And it was an eternal joy. There was no sleep, no agony, no darkness. It was always daytime and people seemed to glow with an aura of joy; something she used to be.

Despite being with her parents and her best friend and having all this impossible bliss because of it, it was only temporary. Jenny started to feel an ache in her chest, like a black hole. A void that swallowed her joy and replaced her thoughts with an image of a man.

She was missing him.

For all the other people around her it was like time moved infinitely fast but for her, she was constantly aware of every second. Time was slow and tiring.

As she talked to Jenna (nearly every day) as they sat on the green lawn in front of their houses, she could feel a certain sadness. While her best friend was talking, she was looking off down the street and movement caught her attention.

A black floating figure lingered outside a house. Even though it was just a shadow and contained no face, she felt like it was fixated on her.

She quickly looked away and got Jenna, "Do you see that?"

"See what?" Jenna asked.

She pointed it out, "It's right there. Some sort of...shadow."

Jenna looked at her in concern, "There's nothing there, Jenny."

"But...I see it," Jenny said quietly and she started to believe she was going crazy.

____

Later she went and visited the house she saw the black shape at. She stood in front of it for awhile before she saw a shadow move inside the house and stop in front of the window; again she felt like it was staring right at her. But she didn't feel fear, instead, she felt a beckoning.

Jenny started to recall what was said about this house. Right now, it looked beautiful but in the real world it was abandoned and there were always stories that it was haunted.

Jenny felt haunted, not by fear, but by memories of a life that was taken. She didn't feel happy how her life ended and even though it was over, she still felt sad.

For the first time in death, she was surrounded by happy people but she wasn't happy herself.

She felt lost.

_____

Things started changing even more. Jenny gained black circles under her eyes from tiredness she felt in her soul. She was an oddity.

Houses started to become shadows like they were built out of a black smoke. It was coming slowly down the street she lived on from both sides and she didn't know what would happen when it reached her.

She sat in front of Jenna on the lawn again. She watched her parents on the porch as they joked and talked; they were happy. But she sat depressed and longing.

"It's okay to miss him, you know," Jenna said.

"Is it?" Jenny questioned as tears filled her eyes. "Because if I miss him that means I'm sad and I don't belong here."

"Then don't belong here," Jenna smiled slightly. "I've never seen you be sad unless it's about someone you love which means you love him incredibly much."

"You know I'm mad at him, too, because I can't even enjoy this sliver of peace without feeling lost without him," Jenny cried. "And then I wonder if he's feeling just as lost as me or if he's not and both thoughts put me in agony."

She thought about how he put the chaos of love in her veins to where she could never feel peace without him. She loved and hated him for it.

"Then go and haunt him. Make sure he is," Jenna encouraged. Jenny told her about the house with the figure and they had their theories that the place really was haunted. That somehow their ghosts could exist even if their bodies couldn't ever again.

"What about you? My parents?" Jenny questioned.

"We'll be fine. We'll just have to wait a little longer," Jenna smiled. "It'll be seconds to us."

               "I'll miss you," Jenny hugged her best friend with acceptance in her fate as the black shadows encroached quickly through the street and the houses, intending to take her away. She was scared but she loved Elijah enough to be dead in pain rather than peace. (She was supposed that was insane but she always felt that way about him.)

             In seconds, she couldn't feel Jenna in her arms. There was only frigid cold and there was darkness all around.

AN: this chapter sucks so bad. But anyways we're getting into my huge plot line now.

Also, I said this part would be about five chapters. It's gonna be about 10; I've decided to include something in part 3 in this part so you guys got a little bit more agony to go through.