Chapter Twenty Four

(Meanwhile)

It was cold, and unpleasant... The worst of it all was the fog that had flooded the waters. 

Morro sat below deck, listening before sensing the annoying force of his host fighting from within. 

He gritted his teeth before snapping from his impatience. "May I remind you that you're just wasting your strength." Morro spoke, earning a scoff from the male. 

'You're losing your own strength just by controlling my body. Not to mention, using MY powers.' He said, managing to take some control of his hand before Morro clutched it with the other and took back control with a small growl. 
‘Tell me, which exhausts you more? Because either way, You’ll end up like the rest of them.’ Kai said, referring to the villains he and the other’s have faced. ‘Whether it’s me breaking from your control, or my friends freeing me. It never works out how you hope it will.'

Morro didn't say anything. He had grown sick and tired of Kai's words and how he'll never succeed. But they didn't matter to him as much as they did previously.
"It never works because no one's tried what I'm about to do..." 

Kai fell silent, he'd be lying if those words didn't unsettle him a little. "What does that mean?" He asked. 

A cold sneer curled on his face. "You'll see soon. Don't want to ruin the surprise just yet."

Kai frowned and huffed. The fact of being powerless in his situation was unbearable. How he was forced to be patient. Was it worth it or should he keep struggling until he found a weak point to break free? He had no clue…

Giving it a rest, Kai couldn't help but wonder why his possessor was going through such lengths. But what had bothered him more was how much Morro compared the both of them. How during his time stuck with him, he's told him how they have more in common then he thinks. 
But what did it mean? It couldn't have just meant their desire to be the green ninja. There was more to those words and he wanted answers. Maybe those weird dreams have something to do with this… He decided to dig deeper. "What happened to you before you met Wu?" He asked. 

Morro was quiet and sighed. "If I tell you, will you promise to shut up?" He asked. 

Kai paused before giving a frown. "Sure..." 

Morro huffed, turning his head away to look out a nearby window and spoke. "Things were never safe for me. You know how humans and serpentine eventually broke into a war?" He asked

Kai paused before giving a nod. "Yeah, I do. Never believed them though until I discovered the serpentine were actually real when I first encountered them."

"Heh, well… before that war broke out, people weren't quite friendly to each other either. Men left their villages to protect their lands, leaving the elderly and women to protect their children. My home wasn't the strongest. We only had what would help us get by. So when we were attacked, I was the only one to escape alive…"

Kai listened, remembering how his parents left him alone to raise Nya one day. He was lucky they had the village to help them. They never said where they were going, some said they left to protect the village from a coming battle or war. But Morro…

"When I came back, everything was gone… the attackers took what they wanted and left to strengthen their forces… I was lucky to be able to get by the next couple weeks. It was enough to keep any unfortunate kid alive, but it never stops the growls of your emptiness and hunger." He said, placing a hand over himself like he can feel it right now. 
"Fear is never kind, that is why you must live above it, so you don't have to suffer underneath it again… The green ninja must be that person. Strong… powerful that no threat would dare interfere with them. And that kid… Lloyd… is not fit..." He growled 

Kai went silent as he listened before frowning. "You may think that, but maybe your fantasy of the green ninja isn't what you hope… And right now, you're certainly showing some good results for a hero destined to protect Ninjago."

Morro turned his head from his response before lifting his head up as the soul archer came into view. 

"Morro, we have arrived…" They spoke. 

Looking up to the archer, Morro stood up, taking the cursed sword of sanctuary from where he had left it to rest. "Good… let's not waste anymore time then."