𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓. 𝐃𝐨𝐯𝐞

Start from the beginning

"Are you crazy?" The same soft voice radiated throughout the empty café, the café JinRin once worked at.

She sounded strict but nonetheless, her voice was a sweetened concoction filled with worry. Just like a latté, sugary whipped cream adorned the top while the bottom was bitter with misery.

The girl who looked about the same aged as her, went to JinRin's side, concerned for her friend who hadn't been there since last December.

She had airy bangs, a pair of tilted glasses stood on her mask and was has a rather petite figure.
In fact, she was sweating a lot as well, hair a good mess.

"Juni... my mother- " JinRin faltered, eyes uncontrollably being filled with pearls of worry and self-loathing.

Juni had the ineffable effect or power to make anyone open up to her, like a butterfly preaching into the flower to pollinate it.

"Oh my lord what happened to you... you promised to not make me worry about you after you leave didn't you" The girl sighed, fretting about her once strong and hard-headed friend.

Knowing well the best way to comfort her friend, the girl immediately rushed to hug her only to be met with a hesitant shake of the head.

"Why—?" The girl asked as her eyes made their way to JinRin's clenched fists and just like that, the witty girl knew there was definitely something wrong— and something more damaging than she had thought.

The girl looked down as she decided to give JinRin some space— knowing well that was the only thing she could do— despite how useless she felt at that moment.

She was the worst possible person to comfort others. She didn't know what to do, except to squat and stare sympathetically at her friend

But the girl wasn't going to give up that easily. She might be an amateur— and very awkward at this but it was JinRin.

She must help her.

"I'll— just go prepare your drink now... I don't mind you know...you can tell me everything later." The girl gave JinRin a weak smile before getting up and walking into the back kitchen to prepare JinRin's energy drink.

JinRin gave no reply.

The sobbing continues, drowning the last of the café joy, sapping away all its remaining energy.

There wasn't much of a difference anyway, as every night, the only enthusiasm in the café left was the jazz music playing... not the best taste of music at night especially when you're in solitude.

"Thanks Juni... you didn't have to make one for me you know... I was just not in the right mindset"
JinRin croaked out, grasping onto the piping hot after.

"Stop worrying! It's totally fine to ask for coffee at night, after all you visit made me less lonelier" The girl replied with a bright tone, all her lethargy disappearing at an instant.

"If you're trying to cheer me up, it's not going to work" JinRin only smiled painfully as she gulped down a large mouthful of that deadly coffee.

"I know it must have been very difficult for you but don't be so harsh to yourself... you don't always have to drown yourself in your problems, you have shoulders to lean on" The girl comforted, worried about what JinRin was going through.