06 - closer to truth, closer to danger

Comincia dall'inizio

shaking such sad thoughts off, she approaches the private staircase, the guard looking at her nonchalantly as she approached. she had her face to thank for everyone's naivety of underestimating her. Hikari was more than aware that her face had too gentle features for a woman who lived a harsh life. her late brother had kept on saying back then that she looked like a workless princess.

"you can't come in here, miss."

"Haitani Rindou sent for me."

he quirks up a brow. "I will have to verify."

Hikari sighs as she opens her wallet. "Rin had told me that my knowing his name would be enough to prove my permit of entry, but I did bring this just in case—Rin's too lax sometimes."

the girl had purposely used his nickname to appear close to him, and she retrieved a folded piece of paper from her wallet to show the guard. it was a photocopy of Rin's ID—one she got from the files in Ran's office just in case she'd need it. she loved being smart, she would've died early otherwise.

"I see. you may come in." he unhooks the barricade and Hikari went waltzing in like the elusive woman she was.

now came the difficult part of staying safe as she ventured to unknown territory. just to be sure, she puts her hood back over her head, thankful that she wore black pants so that at a glance, it wasn't clear she was a woman. women here would be suspicious.

once she had gotten to the third floor, she was surprised to find an uncannily familiar place. the layout and the color scheme looked just like their headquarters where she had gone through horrors. a hallway with many turns, black, expensive marbled tiles, red doors, circular yellowish lights on the ceiling.

she bites her tongue, getting the sudden urge to puke. this isn't the same place, she reminds herself. although she'd be lying if she said she didn't want to race out of this building right now. despite her erratic heartbeat and weak knees, she takes a step forward. she was yet to come across someone even as she was halfway through the main hallway.

she tried standing close to some of the doors, pressing her ear against the surface. it was quiet. she turns right, cautiously looking behind her back. once she faces forward, her heart drops as suited men also turn the corner. she barely stifled her gasp as she steps back and out of view.

"did you see that?"

"see what?"

"there was someone."

the men rushed to where she was, but there wasn't a trace of anyone. by a stroke of luck, Hikari had found an unlocked door. the room appeared to be a wine storage, and she only released her breath once she heard their footsteps pass.

what am I trying to find here again?

anything. just anything will do. she cautiously listens for movement outside before she opens the door ajar. no one was there. she steps out, feeling like her lifespan's been reduced from the nervousness she felt. her guts were right.

as soon as she stepped out, she heard a yell.

"there he is!"

at least they assumed she was a he. way to be optimistic, Hikari. she bolted immediately and they chased after her. she turned many corners, making sure to remember the directions, yet no matter how fast she ran, they were close behind her.

she goes right again, desperately praying she wouldn't run into anyone else lest she be cornered. but the gods hated her apparently. behind her, the men were catching up and her stamina was getting too shitty, and in front of her, a door flew open and someone was about to step out.