c h a p t e r 12

"Basically, Zero almost killed Ricky." Pandenski told the Warden.

"Basically?"

"Uh, uh, Ziggy was beating up the Caveman, right? And then Zero started choking Zigzag. Y/n and I had to pull Zero off of him." Pit explains as I fold my hands together and put my head down.

"Yeah, I mean, you know, Zig just got a little hot. Out in the sun all day, the blood starts to boil." X explained before the Warden went over to Zig.

I wanted to keep quiet, not wanting to get Stanley and Zero in trouble for digging holes together.

"Is that what happened, Zigzag?" Warden asked.

"Yep." He replied. "Like X-Ray said, you know, working all day out in the hot sun, you know, while Caveman sits around and does nothing."

I internally groan before I glare wide-eyed at Zigzag. He looked over at me and quickly averted my gaze.

"Excuse me? Caveman digs his holes just like everyone else."

"Sometimes." Zig adds and my eyes widen more at him.

"Excuse me?"

"Ma'am, Zero's been digging a part of Caveman's hole every day." Squid explains.

"You're not digging holes no more? Huh?" Mr. Sir asks.

"I...I'm teaching him how to read." Stanley replies and I feel bad for not being able to help Zero more so that him and Stanley wouldn't be in this situation.

"What?"

"He's a smart kid." Stanely adds.

"Smart?" Pandesnki chuckles and my jaw tightens. "Oh, yeah? Hey, Zero, what does c-a-t spell? Huh? What's its spelling?" Zero stayed silent. "Yeah, he's a real genius. He's so stupid, he doesn't even know he's stupid."

"He's not stupid." I snapped.

"Okay," Says the Warden to stop an argument from rising. "From now on, I don't want anyone digging anyone else's hole. Is that clear. And no more reading lessons." She adds mainly at Stanley. She doesn't know I teach Zero too, so I could still help him.

"Why? I mean, if the hole gets dug, who cares who's digging it, right?" Stanley asks.

"You know why you're digging holes?! Because it's good for you. It teaches you a lesson." Mr. Sir replies.

"If Zero digs your hole for you, you're not learning your lesson, are you?" Warden adds.

"Yeah, see that?"

"We'll, why can't I still just dig my hole and teach him how to read?" Stanley asks,

"Cause, I said so." Warden replies.

"We know you mean well, Stanley. But the mental stress just causes his brain too much of a challenge. That's what made his blood boil, not the hot sun." Pandesnki said and my hands clenched into fists.

"I'm not digging any more holes." Zero speaks up.

"Good. I mean, you might as well teach this shovel to read." Pandesnki says before he tosses Zig's shovel to Zero. "Go ahead, Zero. Take it. It's all you'll ever be good for. D-I-g. What's that spell?"

Before I could speak up and defend Zero, Zero took the shovel in his hand and hit Pandendski, making him fall to the ground. My mouth gaped as Zero replied "Dig." And he ran off.

"Go, Zero! Go!" Stanely cheered. My body was frozen as I watched him run. Mr. sir started to follow when the Warden told him to leave him.

"I want round-the clock guards on all water sources." The warden ordered as she poured the rest of Zero's canteen on Pandesnki.