c h a p t e r 9

The next day while we were in line for our water I saw X exit the line and go to his hole.

"Hey, mom, think I've found something!" X-ray called. "Come here for a second. I think I found something."
Pandeski gave Squid his empty canteen and quickly walked over to X's hole.

"Looks like a...Gold...golden bullet or something, doesn't it? It's nice right? So, I get the day off now, right?"

"You just might. We're gonna call the Warden." Pandeski told X while he looked at the "bullet".

***

We were digging in our respective holes when we heard a car drive towards us.

I rested my hands on my shovel while I squinted my eyes to see a car in the distance. I looked over at Zig to see him already looking at me.

I looked back over at the car as it parked a few feet away from our holes. My eyes widened slightly as I watched a woman with red hair step out of the driver's side of the car. She walked back over to Pendanski and looked at the "bullet".

"This where you found it?" She asked X-ray.

"Yes, ma'am." X answered.

"Dr. Pendanksi, drive X-ray back to camp. Give him double shower tokens and a snack. But first, fill everyone's canteen." The Warden announced with a smile. I smiled in relief. More water.

"I already filled them." Pendanski said happily.

"Excuse me?"

"I had already filled them when you drove up in the car."

"Excuse me? Did I ask you when you last filled them?" The Warden asked while I tried not to laugh as Zig and I shared a glance.

"No. You didn't, but..."

"Excuse me. Now, these fine boys and lady have been working hard. Don't you think it just might be possible they have taken a drink since you filled their canteens?"

"It's possible."

"Oh, it's possible, is it?" The Warden looked over at me. "Girly. You come over here, please."

I looked over at Zig as I froze.

"Get over here." Mr. Sir called.

I quickly put down my shovel and got out of my hole.

"Now, did you by any chance take a drink since he filled your canteen?" Warden asked as she stepped up to me and I instinctively stood up straighter.

"Uh, yes ma'am I have drinken some of my water." I tell her, trying my best to keep eye contact.

"Thank you. May I have your canteen, please?" She asked as she gestured to my canteen that was hanging by my side. I took the rope off of my shoulder and handed the almost empty canteen to her. She grabbed it and walked over to Pendanski and shook it in his face.

"Can you hear the empty spaces?"

"Yes, I can hear." Pendanksi replied, clearly annoyed.

"Fill it." Warden ordered as she shoved the canteen into Pendanski's chest. "If that's too much trouble, you can grab a shovel, and Girly here can fill the canteens."

Mr. Sir and the Warden ordered us around, telling us what to grab and where to dig. We got the other tent groups to join digging in our area.

Eventually we made more holes and one big ditch. I was in charge of going through the dirt to check for anything.
"Caveman, over here." Warden ordered.

***

We were walking back into camp in silence before Cavemanbroke it.

"Hey, how'd she know my name?" Caveman asked.

"Oh, she's got the whole place wired." I joked. Zig grabbed my shovel and tossed both his and mine over to the pile.

"Oh, yeah, she's got these little, tiny microphones and cameras all over the place. Yeah, she's got 'em in the rec room. She's got 'em in the tent...Got 'em in the showers."

I smacked Zigzag's arm.

"They're not in the showers." Caveman scoffed.

"Don't listen to him. He's just joking." I told Caveman.

"Hey, so that means she watches me every day, huh?" Magnet snickers.

"Man, he says she got cameras and microphones, not microscopes." Armpit added and we laughed as we made our way to our tent.

***

Four days later we were still digging and we found absolutely nothing.

I was digging in between Zig and Caveman. I stopped for a second as I stretched my hands as they began to cramp up again.

"Four days." The warden began as she walked above us. We all stopped and looked up at her. "Four long days. And this is all you jackasses got to show for it."

I sighed tiredly as I looked over at Zigzag. He gave me an encouraging smile and I got the same recognizable fluttery feeling in my stomach everytime he smiled at me.

He gestured to keep digging and I nodded before continuing to dig.

********************************************************************************************************************
A/n: So I'm struggling with a decision. I'm not sure if at the end of the story if the character should call Zigzag by his real name, Ricky, or if she should continue to call him Zig or Zigzag. It would be great if you could give me feedback😁! Also, please let me know how the story is going and if I should make changes or if you would like certain things to happen in the future. Thanks!
PS. Sorry for this short chapter. I've been very busy and haven't had a lot of time to write this story.