c h a p t e r 8

Over the next few days, I helped Stanley with his blisters by giving him the fabric from my shirt that I used for my blisters my first few days. Of course the boys made fun of Stanley during dinner.
I saw him writing a letter to his mom and I felt bad for him.

***

I was playing pool with Zero, Zigzag, and X-ray. It was my turn and I leaned down to measure the shot. Pandenski was walking around the pool table at the time, of course, and he brushed himself against my butt as I pushed my stick to make my shot. I immediately stood up straight and ruined the shot.

"Bummer. You'll get it next time." Pandenski said from beside me with a smile before he walked off. I looked over at the boys. Zero looked at me confused, X-ray glared at Pandenski, and Zigzag stared down at the table holding his pool stick so tight his knuckles were turning white.

"Your turn." I told X-ray.

***

The next day, after we got our water from Pandenski we saw Stanley showing him a fossil.
We all went up to see what it was.

"Stanley, the Warden isn't interested in fossils." Pandenski scoffed as he gave Stanley the fossil before leaving.

"Let me see that." Squid said as he roughly grabbed the fossil out of his hands. I went on my tiptoes to see over Armpit's shoulders. Armpit looked back at me for a second after I set my hands on his shoulder to see over him.

"What is it?" Magnet asked.

"Man, see, look. Look at the little fishies!" Armpit said with a sing-song voice. I smiled while everyone looked at Armpit. Armpit cleared his throat. "I mean, you know, it look like those cave pictures, man." Armpit said before everyone left to go dig there holes. I stayed next to Stanley as I looked at the fossil.

"It's a cool find Stanley." I said with a kind smile as I placed my hand on his shoulder. He gave me a small smile back as I patted his shoulder before going to my hole.

***

Zigzag, X-ray, and I were playing pool again. They keep on insisting to play with me so they can win. They never do. Zero just wanted to watch this time instead of playing.

"What'd you say to me?" A boy yelled as he kicked Stanley.

Zero and I looked at each other as we looked over to see the commotion, everyone becoming quiet.

"Sorry, man. I didn't mean...I didn't mean to hit you." Stanley said before plunging at him. They began to fight and me, Zigzag, and Squid quickly went over and pulled Stanley away from him. The guy pushed me roughly and I glared at him as I pulled on Stanely's arm.

"Hey, just chil, okay, man, all right? Look, we start a fight now, the Warden will come down hard on all of us." X-ray told the guy sternly.

"Just keep that punk away from me. And her too." The guy's stern face turned into a sick smile. "Unless she wants to come to my tent sometime. Been a while since I've had a good time."

I scoffed. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Armpit grab onto Zigzag's arm and whispered something in his ear.

"Go to hell." I glared as I pulled Stanley further away and towards the pool table as everyone dispersed and went back to what they were doing.

"Don't look at him. He's crazy. You understand me?" Squid told Stanley as he wrapped his arm around him and I went over to Zero. I saw the pool ball in his hand. I grabbed his shoulders lightly.

"It's okay. Put it down." I mumbled to him. He let go of the ball and it rolled back to its place. Everyone from our tent gathered around the pool table.