c h a p t e r 6

~Y/n's POV~

I walked into the tent behind Zigzag and looked over to see Zero laying down on his cot. I went over to him and ruffled his hair and he smiled up at me. I looked to see Dr. Padenski looking around the tent and I immediately went back over to Zigzag. Apparently we got a new kid who was going to take Barf Bag's place.

"Hey, I'm Magnet. That's Zigzag and Girly." Magnet told him.

"Howdy." I nodded to him. He nodded quickly at me. He looked really innocent like he wouldn't hurt a fly. We went over to our cots and I set my stuff down.

"And this...is Zero. Say hello to Stanley, Zero. Do you want to know why they call him Zero? 'Cause there's nothing goin' on in his stupid little head." Padenski laughed.

I rolled my eyes and gritted my teeth as I grabbed my towel.

"Did you tell him about the lizards?" Zigzag asked.

"Ricky, let's not scare Stanley."

"His name's not Ricky, it's Zigzag alright?" X-ray told Pandenski. I always liked the name Ricky but these boys and their nicknames.

"Stanley, if you have any questions, just ask Theodore. Theodore will be your mentor. You got that, Theodore?"

"Yeah, man. Whatever, dude."

"I'm depending on you. It should be no labor to be nice to your neighbor."

I took my shower then went to the mess hall for dinner.

I sat down in my usual spot next to Zigzag.

As the guys talked Zero and I would share looks of confusion from across the table. I looked up from my tray and saw Stanley looking around for a spot to sit.

"Hey Stanley!" I called. He looked over at our table and I gestured for him to come over. He gave me a grateful smile as he started to walk our way. "Move down Magnet." I told him firmly. He nodded quickly and scooted down the bench.

Stanley was close to the table and I gestured for the now empty seat next to me.

"This is where you sit." I told him kindly but firmly. He sat down and silence fell over the group. I looked over at Zig and he shrugged.

"Hey, yo, new kid. Hey, yo." X said, getting his attention. "See, you didn't dig today. So, uh, you wouldn't mind giving up your bread to somebody who did, now, would you?" X grabbed Stanley's bread and I rolled my eyes.

"No, you can have it." Stanley told him.

"So, what'd they get you for?" Squid asked.

"Stealing a pair of shoes." Stanley said shyly. Everyone but me and Zero laughed. I just rolled my eyes. "From the store, or were they still on someone's feet?"

"No, no, he just killed the dude first. You just left out that little detail, right?" Zig asked and I slapped his arm.

"They were Clyde Levingston's shoes." Stanley said and my eyes widened. I wasn't super into celebrities and stuff but I knew that guy was really famous.

"Man, you did not steal no Clyde Levingston shoes." X said in disbelief.

"They were his world series cleats." Stabley added.

"Hold on. How did you get them?" I asked.

"Yeah. He's like, the fastest guy in the majors, right?" Magnet adds and everyone nods.

"Clyde Livingston donated his shoes to this, uh, this...this homeless shelter." Stanley explained and I immediately looked over at Zero.

"Did they have red X's on 'em?" Zero asked and everyone but me and Stanley gasped.

"You got Zero to talk. Only Girly can do that." Squid comments.

"Hey, yo, what else can you do, Zero?" Armpit asked. Zero looked over at me and gave him a proud smile.

"Yeah. Yeah, they did." Stanley said, answering Zero's question.

3rd POV

That night Stanley was still wide awake. He heard someone start to get out of their bed. Stanley froze and closed his eyes, pretending to be asleep. He heard them sigh quietly as they made their way to the door of the tent. Stanley was about to see who left the tent when another person was getting out of their bed as well.
Once he heard the people leave the tent, he slowly got up and saw that Zigzag and Girly weren't in their beds. He slowly went over to the door and saw the two sitting on the steps looking up at the sky.
"Do you know the constellations?" Zigzag asked Y/n. She looked at him confused.
"What kind of question is that? Of course I know the constellations." She then pointed at the stars in the sky. "That one is Big Bear or Ursa Major. See you can kind of see the legs there, and then the body. You see?" Y/n explained with a smile as she looked at Zig, who looked closely at the sky.
"Oh yeah. Yeah I see it."

Stanley walked back over to his bed, not wanting to eavesdrop on their private conversation.

Y/n pointed at more stars. "That one is Scorpius. It can only be seen during the summer. And then, of course, there's the big dipper and the little dipper over there." Y/n explained as she rested her head on Zigzag's shoulder. Zig smiled up at the sky. He loved hearing Y/n talk about something that she loved. Her hand rested on her knee and he resisted the urge to hold it and bring it tight to his chest. His eyes went to her forearms, where a bunch of freckles lay dark on her tan arms. His eyes connected the freckles like they were constellations.