c h a p t e r 7

Y/n's POV

The next morning I woke up to the usual trumpets. I got out of bed tiredly and walked over to Zero's bed. I tapped his shoulder a bunch of times and started poking his cheek.

"Come on Zero, wake up." I said as I yawned. Zero groaned.

I grabbed his arm and pulled him over my shoulder. I shook him vigorously as he hung from my shoulder.

"All right, all right! I'm up." Zero groaned. I smiled and put him down on the ground.

"Works every time." I said with a smile as I ruffled up his hair and he swatted at my hand.

***

We all made our way outside to get our shovels and breakfast. We heard Padenski yelling around trying to wake us up.

"The early mole digs the deepest hole. Shovels on the left, tortillas on the right."

Mr. Sir opened up the shovels library and he started yelling at us to get us moving and awake.

I grabbed a honey tortilla and walked over to Zigzag.

"Morning sunshine." He said with a smile as he looked down at me. I tried to act as normal as possible when he smiled, even though my stomach was doing backflips.

"Morning." I replied with a closed smile.

***

We walked through the desert. Zero in front of the group.

"Man, it is hotter than Satan's butt crack out here." I sighed as I wiped my forehead. The boys laughed while Stanley looked confused.

"What did she say?" He asked.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it." X-ray said with smile.

***

I picked a spot between Zigzag and Zero and started digging.

As I was digging my hole I saw Armpit, X-ray, and Squid through their dirt into Stanley's hole and rolled my eyes.

"Excuse me, can you throw that in another pile or something, cause it keeps getting in my hole." Stanley asked politely.
The guys told him to shut up and they laughed.

"Guys!" I yelled, getting their attention. "Leave him alone. Stop your childish crap and put your dirt somewhere else." I told them firmly. "Or if you don't, I'm gonna put your dirt up somewhere where the sun definitely don't shine." I told them with a smirk.

They looked at each other before nodding and throwing their dirt into different piles.

Stanley looked over at me and gave me a small smile. I nodded back at him.

***

Hours later the water truck came. I climbed out of my hole and brushed my hands off on my pants. I fixed my shirt and Zigzag came over and grabbed my hand and looked at my palm. About a week ago I had a really bad splinter from the shovel handle. Pandenski had to take it out, even though I hated being anywhere near the creep.

"How's your hand?" Zigzag asked quietly, his voice slightly raspy. My breath caught in my throat.

"Um, it's fine. Doesn't hurt today." I told him as my heart beat rapidly in my chest.

"Great." Zig said with a smile before going over to the line. I watched him walk to the line and talk with Armpit. Zero appeared at my side, looking between me and Zigzag.