Where Spider Lilies Grow

• Eunmi •
Today was finally the day I get to see Mei again. She will finally be discharged from the hospital and be able to attend school soon, but she will be seeing psychiatrists, as well as giving important information to the CCG, information in which I'm nervous she would talk about. I had always wondered if Mei saw what I had done to Rize, and seen my ghoul self. I had also wondered if she would report me because of it. Everything was on the line but her safety, her being alive was all that mattered to me.

I was standing outside the hospital doors, hesitating to come inside. I knew that Mei's parents were there, and some investigators on top of that even to see that they got home safely. I gripped the end of my long sleeves tightly as I used my free hand to open the doors and walk into the hospital. As expected, I saw investigators left and right, but it wasn't very many like I had expected. I saw both Mr. and Mrs. Higurashi signing papers and talking to hospital staff. My heart began beating faster as I took more steps within the building, seeing the quinque cases that I was so familiar to with my own mother. I was so distracted by them that I ended up bumping into someone. "I-I'm so sorry!" I said as I stepped back and bowed my head. I heard a small chuckle and a felt a small pat on the head. "It's alright Eunmi.. look how much you've grown! I haven't seen you since your mother took you with her to the office a while back" A familiar voice said. I was confused as to who it was as I raised my head up and saw the familiar odd hair cut and the suit. "I-Investigator Shinohara.. I didn't think you'd be working on this case.." I said in a bit of shock. "Neither did I but, I am not very much involved with it. How are you?" He asked with a smile. "I'm well.. I'm actually here to see my best friend, she's the one getting discharged today" I said. "This must've been very tough for you.. but it looks like everything's okay now! You two can catch up and you can help her through this.. I know she's lucky to have a friend like you" he said. I simply nodded as I looked over to Mei's parents as they gestured for me to come forward.

"Excuse me Investigator Shinohara, but I best be going this way.. it was nice seeing you again!" I said with a smile despite the nerves I felt. "Very well Eunmi. And hey, if you're still interested in becoming an investigator, let me know and I'll put in a good word for you. We do have programs starting from your second to last year of high school and or after graduation. With a brain like yours, we could surely use your help" He said. That's right.. I forgot that I did used to have a slight interest in becoming one. Not because I wanted to kill all ghouls, but to see the science and progress, the system within the CCG. I wasn't sure why but I was curious about it. Things are different now however, since this whole change of things.

I could never join the CCG, not after everything that has happened. "Perhaps some other time Shinohara.." I said with a small smile before heading towards Mei's Parents. I hadn't seen them at all since the incident, as I had been too afraid to show my face. "Mr. and Mrs. Higurashi, it's nice to see you again.. how's Mei doing? How are you two doing?" I asked with a small bow. "She's making a fine recovery.. and we've just been trying our best with her" Mrs. Higurashi said with a gentle tone. "However when she woke up, she did mention how she wouldn't have made it without you, that's for sure" Mr. Higurashi said. I slightly gulped at the statement. Did she know..? What did she say? I did my best to stay completely and utterly calm as I readied myself for the words they were about to say next. "If you hadn't called for help and distracted the ghoul away from Mei, surely we wouldn't be here being able to take our daughter home" Mrs. Higurashi said with tears in her eyes as she hugged me. 'Mei didn't say anything about me being a ghoul?.. did she see? Does she know..? Does she accept me?' I thought as my eyes began to fill with tears as well, before I knew it I felt like I was trembling. "It was terrifying.. but for Mei.. I can face any nightmare to protect my best friend" I whispered with a quivering tone as I shut my eyes and allowed the tears to fall.