Episode III: Better Than I Was Before

episode 3: Better Than I Was Before

episode rating: TV14

episode run time: 28 min

previously, on Heart Beating For You: Jinsoul and Jungeun are trapped as they try to outrun the other infected students of Yongsan-Gu Boarding School. They meet a junior by the name of Choi Yerim and face individual trials in the fight to survive the zombie apocalypse. Surviving a zombie high school proves harder than any of them thought.

episode synopsis: Jungeun and Jinsoul go back to search for their phones to try and get help, but unique challenges are presented along the way. Both Jinsoul and Jungeun must confront uncomfortable pasts if they want to make it in their school-turned wasteland, but an unexpected visitor makes everything more complicated.

[¬º-°]¬[¬º-°]¬[¬º-°]¬[¬º-°]¬[¬º-°]¬[¬º-°]¬[¬º-°]¬[¬º-°]¬[¬º-°]¬

Jungeun had begun to feel like the silence was eerier than the noise. At least when she could hear the zombies, she never wondered where they were. Now as Jinsoul and Jungeun walked up the steps to the boarding house, Jungeun wished she had some indicator of how many were inside. Surely not that many people had been occupying the girls' dorms during lunch, right? Everyone was either at the cafeteria, studying, or in another class. Jungeun was grateful again that the senior had their lunch at the time of the outbreak, otherwise she might've been stuck in class with no escape. That must've been what happened to most of the juniors.

They saw more seniors on their trek to the dorms. Jungeun didn't recognize them, so they must've been from Jinsoul's class. She was about to call out to them when Jinsoul's hands covered her mouth.

"Don't," Jinsoul's voice was low. "I don't trust them,"

Jungeun looked back at her in confusion. They did seem a little odd, they were calm just like Hongjoong had been. Jungeun thought back on what he had said. "No safety, but no rules". Jungeun shivered as she thought of what he'd do with no rules.

"Who are they?" Jungeun asked cautiously.

Jinsoul pointed them out one by one. "Yuji, Haeun, Yoorim. They're not...the most favorable company," She sighed. "Friends with Hongjoong,"

Yoorim and her friends were in one of the classrooms and Jungeun just barely had a view of them through an open door. Yoorim was laughing at something and Jungeun sucked in a breath as she saw someone on the floor underneath them. Whether it was human or zombie, she wasn't sure. Either way, the look in Yoorim's eyes reminded her of Hongjoong. Sadistic almost, like pain made something come alive in her.

Jungeun looked to Jinsoul and saw that same fear in her eyes. She pursed her lips. "Let's keep going,"

Jinsoul nodded solemnly and they continued silently through the campus. They had been pretty close to the outside when they had gotten derailed into the bathroom, but it was still almost unbelievable when they were able to step outside.

It was sunny. The clouds were puffy and white in the sky while below them, the land raged with bloodthirsty creatures. Jungeun couldn't help but find the contrast distasteful.

"This way," Jinsoul pushed and the two of them hurried down the steps of the classroom building and into the light. Jungeun tried not to look around, instead focused on the destination. She stuck close behind her best friend and tried to stay strong as they walked up towards their dorm.

"I'm going in first," Jinsoul said firmly, shaking her head when Jungeun opened her mouth to protest. "You stopped Eunwoo. You're the farthest thing from weak, but there are some things I just can't watch you do. One of them is put yourself in danger for me,"