Chapter 13

"So, you think I'm an Obscurial?"

"Don't obscurials die young?" asked the girl.

"That's only a working theory from nearly a century ago.  We still have a lot to learn since the condition is so rare.  I'm sure you've heard about Credence..."

"I'm sure I have--"

"What do you mean?"

The girl proceeded to explain the situation to the woman.

"Ah, yes, I remember her hostile behavior.  That was odd, and what you've described is just, intense?  Yes, intense, but I wouldn't worry too much.."

"Yes, my lost memories mean nothing" iterated Y/N in a calm voice-- a failed attempt at hiding sarcasm.

"I didn't say that.  I said you shouldn't worry because I think that was a hard hit early on, on her part.  I think that was the strongest card she had up her sleeve.  While I want you to take solace in this thought, I don't recommend that you get on her nerves.  Well, I've got to go, so"

"Hold on, we've got a time-turner, so you can't use that excuse-"

"While your point holds merit, I don't like your over-reliance on it.  What's going to happen when you don't have it?"

"And who exactly is going to try and take it?"

The woman took in a shaky breath, "You may not always have it.  Think of it like a wand.  Say it breaks or you lose it, you want to have another means of magic-- a backup plan.  There are so many other forms of magic out there.  The time-turner is a useful tool that not everyone has, especially now, a time-turner is a valuable, rare commodity.  Just because you can utilize it doesn't mean others can. Don't tell anyone else about it--"

"I see what you mean"

"But, to answer her question, yes, I can stay this one time, but please, learn to use your time more efficiently"

---

"What do you want?"

"How do I --"

"Fit in?  Manage?  I figured you'd ask that"

I didn't even get to finish my question-- kind of a narcissist that one is--

The woman handed her a thick book titled "Crash-Course Magic".

"There's got to be at least a thousand pages here--"

"Well, it's only volume one"

There--there's--

"More?"

The woman's eyes widened.

"Please utilize all of the resources provided to you"

Y/N set the book on the table and began to flip through the table of contents.  She looked back up, hoping to make eye contact with the woman and obtain some kind of sympathy, but when she did so, the woman had disappeared.  How convenient.

---

Y/N, upon seeing everyone disappear, decided to proceed toward a corner of the room of requirement.  She sat down, realizing she'd forgotten the book on the table.  She stood up quickly, a bit frustrated at having forgotten.  She felt a bit dizzy, perhaps from having gotten up so quickly.  She tried to carefully walk over, ignoring the worsening symptoms.

What started as a sudden dizziness that disappeared immediately turned into her seeing blotches of white.  Her skin began to feel hot,  and she felt as if the whole of the outside began to compress her.