Chapter 7

As y/n walked out, she received a note in hand from an owl that flew by.

That-- alright, I'll just ignore the fact that the owl came out of nowhere.  

"Y/N, please bring your time-turner with you as you go about your day today.

- Headmistress"

How did she know I was awake?  Wait-- are these girls communicating with her.  Great, I guess it's a sign that hanging out with them is not in my best interest.  And I was just starting to like them.  I wonder if I can even trust the two that I met earlier.  What were their names-- Albus and S-Scorpius.  I was so out of it last night-- or the beginning of this morning.  And, there was a little bit they were discussing--- was it about Rose?  It was, wasn't it?  Shoot, these girls are staring at me and the silence is getting a bit awkward."

"Oh, sorry, I've got to go get something-- and then I have to head out"

"Oh-- that's too bad-- go ahead", replied Aleeya.  

"Mmhmm--yeah it is", responded Y/N, not meaning a bit of it.  She noted an ink stain on her hand, only confirming her suspicions.  But, she knew better than to conclude so quickly.  She would have to find out later, but she already got the feeling that she stood out.  She realized that she would be an outcast.  She didn't grow up as they did.  Would it all be like she had experienced while religious?  Would she be forced to be a recluse?

Even if I have to be alone, at least I will be free to think.  Besides, I don't mind my own company.

Even then, Y/N struggled with the feeling of betrayal.  It just stung a little-- she'd been so open and willing.  

Wait-- why is she communicating with her?  Maybe-- maybe she was instructed to.  Maybe--- the intentions were not cynical.  Maybe-- maybe I just should stick with the motto "neutral until proven not"--  And, even then, that motto makes no sense because people are more complicated than that-- no one is good or bad-- it's all so gray-- it's all gray-- maybe I'll just analyze them as individuals-- and ---

Y/N grabbed her time-turner, playing with it a little as she pondered her pseudo-philosophical thoughts.  

There's always more to it-- don't box people into a moral binary-- don't be like those you have so desperately wanted to get away from.

She packed her satchel with her wand, basic stationery, and paper-- lots of it.  She then placed the time-turner about her neck.  

She brushed her hair once more and tucked it behind her ears.  Before leaving, she double-checked that she had a hair-tie about her wrist, and headed out.  She walked out the door of the dorm, out of the common room, and into the hall.  

Darn it-- I don't know where I'm going.  Guess I will have to swallow my pride and ask for directions-- but wait-- that makes me dependent.  There is still a lot of time left before classes start.  And-- I'm probably going to do something different than all of my peers.  I will probably have to confer with the headmistress.  And, besides, I kind of like being alone-- I really don't mind it.  I- I don't know why I've tried to compress that part of myself... maybe--

Y/N walked briskly down the hall, hoping that she would eventually find her way to the headmistress's office.  

--flashback--

"Are you alright--huh?  Why can't you be normal and just socialize with people?"

Are you really asking me if I'm okay?  Maybe if you would just stop treating me like garbage none of this would be happening-- just because I think differently-- and am different--- because I don't fall into the mold--