Chapter 6

The rooster crowed, the enchanted one, that is.  The girls in Slytherin woke up, remaining silent as they saw Y/N in her peaceful slumber.  Only two, aside from Y/N, were in Y/N's house for her year, as parents, after the second wizarding war, were so hesitant about having children, much less sending them off to the school where so much blood had been shed.  A baby boom was bound to occur at some point, but, until it did, the school would have a relatively small.  

One girl, with dark brown eyes and slightly frizzed, straight, dark brown hair looked at Y/N.  She approached Y/N.

"Excuse me", she stated.

Y/N rubbed her eyes.  She looked at the girl in front of her.

"Hey there, um, what time is it?" asked Y/N, her soft voice hoarse.

She cleared her throat.  

"It's early.  Classes don't start until 7, and ---it's 5:30.  We just wanted to greet you and let you know we were heading out".

"Oh-- heading where?"

"The library-- maybe a walk before that-- it's just so quiet in the mornings and we use that time to talk, catch-up, perhaps get ahead"

Another girl, with slightly wavy hair, hazel eyes, and olive skin chimed in.  

"Hey--- we won't give her a choice.  You will get up -- you will join us"

While such a set of statements would have otherwise been perceived as threat-like and aggressive, the voice behind it was excited and cheery.  

Y/N got up, a smile on her face.

"Are you two related?"

"Yes-- cousins-- birds of a feather, some might say.  I'm Saffi and she's Aleeya"

"Interesting-- and amazing-- is it amazing to have family attend the same school as you?"

"I've never known anything else", stated Aleeya, her slightly wavy hair bouncing as she turned her head.  It was a little longer than Y/N's current hair.

"She is a little bit reserved and quiet.  I, on the other hand-- well--- lean toward extrovert-- at least when around those I care for"

"Wow--"

"Hey, I don't remember your hair looking like that."

"What do you mean, I came late yesterday, most were in their dormitories by then?"

"I have my sources--- and I was interested in seeing what all of the commotion was about-- and well, the rest is history"

"Oh..." 

Y/N's voice trailed off as she blushed.

"Hey-- I think I know what you mean, Saffi. Her hair was really long-- and now, it's short"

"Did you use a spell?"

"I-I didn't use any magic-- Al-- Someone did it for me"

"Ooo-- I see you've acquainted yourself with the best of our house--- and the notorious beings for this school--- honestly, so much of the narrative is controlled by Gryffindors-- and ---"

"What's this?" asked Saffi, picking up one of the books that had been piled into a bookshelf near Y/N's bed.  

"East of Eden" she read.  The thick book weighed her fingers down a bit.

"Is this what muggle children have to read?  Is it a textbook?"

"N-no-- I--It's what's considered 'classic literature'-- something that many writers aspire to in that it is unique and brilliant in capturing and evoking emotion"

"Oh, I see.  I honestly wish we dove more into this stuff at Hogwarts.  Recently, we've seen efforts to help expand the Muggle Studies curriculum.  We now learn basic math and history as to better blend in with the muggle world seeing as how integration with the muggle world is now becoming an admirable course of action for some.  Only the best of the best, though."

Aleeya looked at the other books, few in number, but still interesting.

"Every Man Dies Alone"

"Frankenstein"

"Farenheight 451"

"Brave New World"

"Huh, I don't see any Shakespeare--- He is a bit popular among us more cultured wizard-folk"

"True-- I haven't gotten around to reading too many of his plays-- but they're so popular in that I could give you a basic synopsis on a few of them"

"And, why did you bring so few books?"

"They were all I could afford-- I always used the library. Funny enough, there was always money to buy a new bible, but never to invest in -- um-- literature-- Ah, I see my bitterness is coming back. I just get so upset thinking about what it was like-- but I'm happy to be here.  It's all so uncertain"

"Have you read the Harry Potter books"

"Yes-- Oh-- I've been waiting to ask this--- are they accurate"

"To the nth degree"

"Wow"

"And--- the play?"

"Also accurate"

"Well then, do you guys read those books as though they were textbooks?"

"Most of us know the story, but those of us who read them only do so for our interest in novelized modern history"

"Interesting" replied Y/N as she changed behind a curtain.  

Out she came in her uniform and robes.  

"Oh my gosh, I'm really digging this uniform"

"It is nice, awfully fancy"

Y/N looked at herself in the mirror.  It was a lovely combination of dark green, silver, and black.  The uniform in question consisted of an interesting combination of silver and black.  There was a quality, button-up, black uniform blouse that extended past her hips, dark green pants, and shiny, black shoes that looked like doc martins.  The robe, which fit like a cloak, was sewn with silver thread and of a lasting, beautiful material with the inner material being a dark green.  

The three walked down the stairs to the common room.  For the first time, Y/N had the chance to take it all in.  She admired the tapestry, the intricate blending of modern magic and older magic.  Her hand slid against the wall and reached the common room's own set of shelves and shelves of books.  

She smiled, knowing that at last, she was free.  This was the beginning of a new life for her.