Chapter 4

"Ma'am", whispered Y/N as she slowly rubbed her temples as her head throbbed in pain.

"Y/L/N, stand still and upright", said the woman, as she snapped her index and thumb together.  Suddenly, a measuring tape, appearing to have a mind of its own, flickered about Y/N, wrapping itself around her waist.  The tape then proceeded to measure her arms, legs, and height.  It truly was a spectacle to behold, only, no one would, or ever could as a concealment charm kept them from view.

"You don't have proper Hogwarts attire, but that can be arranged.  The school has a fund for students who need financiary support, but that privilege is reserved for individuals born or from the UK"

"That's alright, I could work.  I could get a job in the city over the summer.  I could--"

"That's alright--- I should have first stated that Ilvermorny had a scholarship set up for those who needed economic support.  Seeing as how Ilvermorny has been shut down for--- reasons I can't disclose", she took in a breath between the pause," the school still had money in its reserve, and so, it is offering grants to help out those in the US who were never given a chance to study magic; primarily for those who were left ignorant due to their religious upbringing"

"And that would be me, wouldn't it?" Y/N sighed.

"It's just odd, you know.  And, I know we only lightly brushed on this topic, but, how come I haven't shown signs of magical ability?  Am I a squib?"

Y/N's voice increased in pitch as she noted an anxious wave of worry dawn over her.  

She thought back to all the times she'd resorted to the books as her safe space-- her imagination had helped create that world, and so, she couldn't bear the thought of being close, but not close enough.

"No, Y/N, you are not a squib-- there is something off about your magical ability though, but the important thing is -- you have magical ability-- you are a magical being-- but the complexities come when specifics are involved"

Y/N's eyes lit up with joy.

"Oh my gosh!  Does that mean I get a wand? Will we go to Ollivander's?"

"Unfortunately, Ollivander's hasn't been in business since the second wizarding war.  It's too much of a liability, just having all of those instruments in one place.  It is done more securely now-- and a lot more accurately as well--- all we need is a little bit of--", she took a hold of Y/N's hand, held her index finger tightly, and before Y/N realized where this was going, she winced as her finger was pricked.  

She took back her hand, shocked by the lack of warning.  Then, another pain.  This came from the head.  A hair had just been plucked from her scalp.

"Kind of a modern approach, one could say"

"Mmmhmm-- yeah, I'm sure", replied Y/N, still pondering over what exactly made the 'specifics' complex.

The pair stood in silence, staring at the horizon.  In the distance, once could just see an airplane, probably headed to---

Y/N looked around.  The pair were in a large glass dome.  The floor was made of a lovely marble, and the decorations, a table at the center, embraced the minimalist aesthetic.  The woman whispered a spell on the samples she'd just collected from Y/N,  stored them in little, glass cases, and then put them in her pocket.  The glove that she'd put on her hand without Y/N even noticing was taken off.  Another spell was whispered and it disappeared.

"We are not yet in London--- just had to make sure we reached one of the safe houses before we proceeded because-- never mind.  The term begins tomorrow. Here, grab my hand", Y/N followed suit, their fingers lacing together.  The two soon arrived at the outside of a large gate.  The woman touched the brick base, tapped it thrice, and it opened, revealing a large castle at the end of what would be a long walk.