Chapter 1: My name is Sarah

A/N
The picture is close to what I imagine Alex looks like.
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

'Thump, thump'

I vaguely registered someone knocking on my bedroom door. A light shined against my closed eye lids and I wondered if it was morning already, it felt like I had only just fallen asleep in the darkness of night. I threw my arm over my face, not wanting to wake up just yet. A few seconds later a heavy weight landed on my chest and the breath was knocked out of me as a small female voice giggled close to my face.

"Come on Sarah. The sun is up already. Get up!" The young girl, my little sister Lily, began poking my arm and any other part of me she could reach as I groaned and tried to roll her off of me without hurting her. No luck. With a thump my sister fell to the floor and I bolted upright to make sure she was okay. As I looked over the side of the bed two big blue eyes stared up at me, a smile plastered on her face as she giggled uncontrollably. A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I looked down at my sweet little twelve year old sister, well I'm awake now.

"Okay Lily, I'm up now. You can go." I watched my sister rush out of my room and turn towards the kitchen, her long brown hair streaming out behind her. I knew my father was there because I could smell the mouth watering smells that floated through the air from the kitchen. I shoved the few thread bare sheets that were my blankets off of me and swung my legs over the side of my bed, resting my feet on the worn wood floor. It's always warm here so we don't need much to sleep with. My room would have looked like it had many years ago when humans were numerous, plaster walls painted some shade of white, glass windows and wooden floors, but the paint had yellowed and started pealing long ago, the floors creaked and swayed as you walk on them and one of the two windows in my room had broken and was boarded up. I stood up and walked over to where I kept my clothes, a small wooden chest at the end of my bed. The chest wasn't the greatest looking thing, the wood worn out and the metal that holds it together rusted long ago.

Maybe I should explain why everything is so decrepit. Many, many years ago normal animals mutated into monsters. They began tearing human after human apart. The worst part is that they don't even eat us, they just hunger for the thrill of killing us I guess. After most of the human population was killed off, some of us started mutating as well. We developed the ability to control one of six elements, fire, earth, water, wind, ice and lightning. We built settlements in towns, errecting walls to keep most of the monsters out. We've managed to keep the monsters out so far but we can't grow enough food behind the walls. The people who had mutated to gain the powers over the elements had children and passed on the mutation, granting them the same ability. Those with powers soon became known as elementals and are respected as the guardians of the human race. And I am one of them.

Once I reached the chest I opened it and pulled out a faded gray T-shirt and a pair of worn out jeans with holes in the knees. After closing the chest and changing out of my light, grey night clothes I stopped at a large broken shard of mirror hanging on my wall. My reddish brown eyes stared back at me as I ran a broken comb through my wavy brownish blond hair that reached down to the middle of my back. As I tried to put my hair up into a quick ponytail a few more of the teeth in the comb broke, looks like I'll need to find someone to make me a new one from wood. I then made my way out of my room and towards the kitchen.

As I entered the kitchen I noticed my dad cooking some unknown meat on top of a wood stove in one corner. I look much like my father, with the same colour eyes and hair but he is much larger than I with his broad shoulders and thick muscles from years of fighting off monsters. My sister was sitting on the counter not far from me, moving her hands around in the air as small gusts of wind opened and closed the creaky cupboards. Yeah, my sister is a wind elemental but she is young and only just learning how to control it. Our mom was a wind elemental too and my sister looks much like her with her big blue eyes and long dark brown hair. My dad and I on the other hand, we're a little more special.