Ch. 16

The voice of Danny's gentle words as I tell him why i'm like this. They make me feel so good. Comfort. I've never told anybody straight up what happened to my brother. Maybe I learned from mental breakdowns in front of the Smith's how to just move on. My tear stained cheeks feel cold and my eyes are so warm from the tears. The words tremble as I tell Danny what happened.

"Im so sorry." He says after I finish. He pulls me into his chest and we stay there like that for a moment. I pull myself off him and give him a warm smile.

"Thank you." I move facing the view of Yoyo playing. "You don't have to but what happened to your parents?" I look up to him. He gives me a worried look but quickly changes it to a smirk.

"It was last year. My sister moved out here two years ago. I was home alone because my parents were going to go grocery shopping. They asked me if I wanted to go and I said no. On the way there, there was a drunk driver zooming through the streets. Before he hit my parents two were already hit. My parents car flipped over and flew to a wall. They died there. It was 12am and I was so worried and then there was a knock on the door. The news broke me. Imagine if I had went? Maybe it would've never happened," He looks down and his eyes get a little red. "Or I could've died with them." He sucks air in and looks up. He spills a laugh. "I promised myself I wouldn't cry anymore. Anyway, that's what triggered anger. When I moved out here last year it was difficult for my sister. She didn't have a good job but it payed rent and bought food. Now she got a really good job that pays here triple of what she used to get. So now we own a house and we can buy whatever the fuck we want when we want it."

"Do you go to school?" I ask. He seems like a bad boy. But school vibe one.

"No, I take online school."

I smile. "Same." I put my hand up and he high fives it. We laugh at my move.

We end up going to eat at Urth. He claims he owes me something because for once he has a "life." I laugh at his joke. We made puns and jokes and he'd die of laughter from my dumb puns and jokes.

"Hey, want to go skate by the pier?"

We're in Santa Monica right now closes Urth we have. Malibu struggle - your far from the good stuff.

"I can't skate, Danny." I point at my cut foot.

He gives me a small smile and softly says, "Don't worry." He grabs my hand and takes me toward my car. Surprisingly he puts me in the passenger seat and seats himself in the drivers. I seriously didn't know he could drive.

Once we get there he grabs his longboard and grabs me by the waist lifting me up on it. Since it is a longboard we both kind of fit but not really. He presses himself against me and I struggle balancing myself with one foot.

"You don't have to do anything." He says grabbing me from behind to secure I don't fall. He starts to move the board and I don't know what to do other than grab his hands around my stomach and squeal. We were probably not going that fast but it felt like we were on top of the world. His laugh filled the air as he kept saying, "Hold on tight, Alana." It felt perfect. For once I felt happy and my cheeks ached from smiling and I felt so full of joy. I have only felt like this when I was with Lucky. I miss him. But maybe i'm starting to move on? I don't know but he's not trying.

One month later

I finally recovered! I can take this stupid bandage off and I can finally go into the ocean and I can finally teach Danny to surf and I can finally go run. I'm very excited. Once I leave the hospital I immediately call Danny.

"Hey what's up?" He picks up.

"What are you doing right now?"

"Making a sandwich because my bestfriend sucks and cut her foot and is too scared to do anything. And we got therapy later so."