12. khaman gamyu

That morning the sun that rose from the east brought in a fresh smell of khaman as Shiva yawned in his bed, and smiled. Last night was something he would not forget in this century atleast. For the first time in the last week, he did not get any nightmares not even a hint of sadness but instead, he dreamt that he was married, and his wife had made him the most delicious khaman there was. And she looked so pretty in the pink and blue salwar, her dupatta was multi-colour and her hair were long, left to play with the wind.

Before he could get a hold of her, she disappeared and all he had was an empty plate of khaman, he did not know whether he ate it or she ate it. 

And then he woke up.

"Good Morning, Bhabhi," He said, as Dhara smiled at him from the courtyard. He always wished her first, whether she was present or not, and then sat back on his cot, still smelling the khaman he had in his dream. "Bhabhi?"

"Bol," Dhara was still mad at him for his previous day's accident.

"Mujhe na ajeeb sa sapna aya tha, kal raat ko." 

On the mere mention of his dreams, Dhara left the tea on the table and moved towards Shiva, sitting on Krish's empty cot, "phirse bura sapna?" She asked, hand on his chin and concern visible in her eyes.

Shiva smiled, holding Dhara's hand, "nahi bhabhi," He then kissed her hand while Dhara stifled a chuckle, "Weird dream," He said, as he explained it to her, "I mean, some girl, I could not see her face but she felt so familiar, like I know her from ages and that multi-colour dupatta, aise toh sirf joker pehente hai. Taste bilkul kharab," He scrunched his face in disgust, his expressions made Dhara remind of a little Shiva, cute and naive, "but, shayad se meri patni thi woh." 

"Accha, kaise pata?" Dhara asked.

"I was asleep on the bed," He said, shrugging, "she was in the room with me, with her multi-color dupatta, aur khaman, kya smell tha uska, wow."

"Mujhse bhi aacha?" 

"Bhabhi kaha aap sapne waali ladki se jal rahi ho," 

"Saru, aagey bol..."

Shiva's shoulders slumped, "then she left, just disappeared, the trail of her long dupatta flowing in the long passage-way and I looked down at my plate, khaman bhi khatam ho gaye." Shiva scoffed. 

"na ladki mili, na khana." Krish tsked, coming out of nowhere, "bechara, sapne mein bhi kismat kharab hai."

"tu phir bola?" 

Krish yawned in response, clutching his college bag and heading to the door, "jaa raha hu," He said, kissing Dhara's head and ignoring Shiva's glares. "tune mujhe thank you bolna chahiye." Krish pouted.

"Kyu?" Shiva asked, looking at his younger brother, "tu finally ghar chod ke jaa raha hai?"

"Bhabhi!" 

"Shiva!"

"Accha sorry, kyu bolu thank you?"

"Woh Raavi ne khaman aur dhokla banaya tha, I left some for you, tujhse pyaar karta hu na-"

"Raavi ne kya?" With that he threw the blanket aside and rushed towards the kitchen and both Krish and Dhara watched Shiva Pandya step into the kitchen for the first time in ages. While they watched him, Shiva smelled the khaman laid on the plate and smiled.

She listened to him.

She actually listened to him.

"Thank you Shiva," Raavi said as they sat on the wooden bench of the chai ki tapri, drinking hot tea at midnight. "This was something I will never forget."