Hinata Shoyo - Freeze Frame Pt 1

Start from the beginning

It took 15 minutes of people watching before the trio from before making their move.

The one with the beard took a step closer to you as the other two dispersed into opposite corners of the room. He cupped his mouth, "Everybody, listen up!" The chattering continued, "Hello, students!" The groups remained.

Standing from your seat, you took a few steps over in his direction and lowered your headset to reset around your neck. Nerves were twisting in your gut again, becoming hot as you got closer, mouth opening to say something. This was a chance, a perfect opportunity. You could make a friend here, an older one, one that knew the ropes of your program and could help you out when you might need it. It was perfect.

"Well, you're not very popular, huh?" you said, looking at the babbling crowd before meeting his eyes.

He put on a tight smile, eyes flickering over your form before turning to the large crowd again. "Seems so."

Nice going. You blew it.

You sucked on your teeth, lips tightening into a line as you turned away and kicked the tiled floor with your sneaker.

"EVERYBODY LISTEN UP!" The short girl from before was a lion, and all the mice in the room immediately stopped squeaking to look her way. From the other side of the room, you could only see the top of her curly afro as it bounced with her shout. The man next to you sighed. "Alright! We are about to head out in groups of three. Once we get to the carnival, you can all disperse as you see fit. So everyone, go group up with one of the leaders" —the man beside you raised his hand along with the two others — "and we will go. If you get lost along the way, just follow the bright lights and music."

You stayed where you were, talking in slow breaths as you mulled over the possibility of speaking again. Before you did, however, it seemed that the bearded man beside you already had a friend with him. You sidestepped as the new stranger pulled the guy into a hug.

Companionless, you followed the group out only to immediately find out that you walked a bit too fast for the social butterflies as they slowed their steps to make sure they got their words into their conversation. You were toward the front of all the groups, silently following the only two that were in front of you.

After an even longer walk, the group stopped by a street corner. You sidestepped, getting out of the way so everyone could be visible. The two leaders, the bearded 23 or 24 year old and his friend, turned to the group that followed along behind you.

"Which of you are first years?"

You raised your hand slightly while a small trio on the other side of the group raised theirs as well. They were in classes.

"Oh, look, we've got some!" The two turned to the trio backs turning your way before pulling the three to the front of the group to talk with them.

You let out a muted scoff, dropping your hand back to hold onto the strap of your camera bag. Pressing your tongue against the inside of your cheek, you turned your attention further down the crowded streets to where bright lights were beginning to paint the darkening sky brilliant colours. You could smell the alcohol as if it poured onto the street like rain.

Taking in as big of a breath as you could, you looked back toward where your group was, only for them to be gone.

"Oh, wow. Pleasant," you laughed to yourself, spinning in circles trying to catch a glimpse of the bearded man, his friend, or even the other first years. Once you determined they were out of sight, you kicked the concrete. "Hey, mom, guess what I did today. I tried to make friends and failed miserably! Ya, that's gonna be an excellent call to make, great conversation," you groaned, throwing your head back to look at the painted sky. "I should've just stayed at the apartment."