Chapter 31 (Death Or Dishonor Or Cake)

It was a very early morning in Lugnica. Subaru and Rem had just recently arrived at the capital to visit Ram. It was only them visiting this time, Kenichi and Naoko had already made plans for a two week vacation in the Philippines so couldnt join them.

Once Subaru and Rem crossed over from Japan, they were able to stumble into Rosswal while at the mansion. They hadn't been able to see him the last trip because he was off on a supposed business trip. This trip also led to him being absent from Ram's wedding.

Like seemingly always, Rosswal seemed glad to see them again. Though Subaru had some questions as to why he switched his support from Emilia to Ram.

Unfortunately when questioned, the only thing Rosswal told Subaru was that it was all just politics, and that it was nothing personal. Claiming he had no intentions of upsetting or insulting Emilia, he just felt that Ram was the better candidate and ultimately a better ruler.

Even though this explanation seemed somewhat logical, Subaru still didn't believe it entirely. He felt like there was more to this than what he was letting on.Though he had no evidence or reason to disagree with what he told him, so he just had to accept it for now.

After talking to Rosswal for a bit Subru and Rem went to the capital. Subaru enjoyed the carriage ride there. Lugnica looked so pretty in the early morning. It was also warmer and there wasn't snow all over the place.

Subaru would have fallen asleep during the carriage ride if he didn't have to stay awake just in case Rem fell asleep. The reason Rem was going to fall asleep was because she stayed up all night out of excitement to see her sister. In the middle of the night she gave up on trying to fall asleep entirely and resorted to watching cat videos on the internet on her laptop to pass the time. She would eventually wake Subaru close to five in the morning and it was then they decided to leave for Lugnica. Mostly because Subaru couldn't fall back asleep with Rem giggling at cat videos.

During the journey Subaru had to constantly keep tapping Rem's shoulder whenever he saw her about to drift off. Last thing he wanted was for the carriage to crash because Rem fell asleep from watching cat videos all night.

Eventually they made it to the nobility district of the capital which is where the van Astrea manor was located. Subaru always thought it was funny that Reinhard and Rosswal had such big houses but only had a couple people living in them. Reinhard didn't have nearly as big of a house as Rosswal but it seemed a bit much for only himself and his wife.

Once they arrived Subaru and Rem walked up the door after parking the carriage. By this point Rem only had one eye open and was doing everything to try and not fall asleep.

"Well Rem we made it, are you excited to see your sister again?" Subaru asked as he knocked on the door.

Rem let out a yawn. "Yes Rem is very excited to see Nee-Sama again, but she feels very tired and needs to lay down"

"You shouldn't have stayed up all night watching cat videos. Even though it was adorable to see you laugh at them, I think your sleep is more important"

"It was very hard to fall asleep, Subaru. Rem was really looking forward to visiting Nee-Sama

"I know, you always are. Anyway, are these people going to answer the door or are we just going to wait here all morning" Subaru said, giving another knock at the door.

"It's quite early Subaru, both of them might still be asleep"

"Well in that case we might as well let ourselves in. I'm sure Ram wouldn't care if you entered her home uninvited. You are her sister after all"

Rem let out another yawn and rubbed her eyes. "Rem doesn't know Subaru, it doesn't seem right"

"Let's just see if the doors are unlocked," Subaru said. He put his hand on the handle of one of the doors and pulled, to his surprise the door opened to the foyer "Well it looks like somebody forgets to lock the doors at night."