CHAPTER SEVEN

Maya's birthday was spent at home with her mother and son in the city of Paris still in the thick of winter. Ever since her divorce, she always chose to have just something small because her birthday's brought back memories she once shared with her ex-husband. It was the best she could do for herself to avoid breaking down mentally and physically which would have worried and affected her mother and Diego. Maya was always grateful for the new milestone but reserved in acknowledging it.

Flashback

"Happy fifteenth birthday Maya and Neymar..!!!", Neymar Snr, Nadine, Rafaela, Marcos and Maria screamed in unison as Neymar Jnr and Maya walked into the house. They pair had just come back from the Vasquez house not far away from the footballers family house and didn't expect a surprise from their family members.
"Thank you", they both said back to everyone who smiled gleefully. They looked at their birthday cakes with so much joy and couldn't contain their excitement.
They held their hands together and blew their candles silently wishing for the same thing, never to be separated from the other.
Neymar had been registered to one of the junior teams in a local club since he was nine and awaiting some forthcoming trials but he never missed celebrating his birthday with Maya, they were inseparable..!!! Nadine and Maria would take Maya to watch some of his games to give Neymar the much needed support.
The small surprise had been well received and Maya decided to sleep over at the Neymars' residence which is as something the two had been doing since they were little. It was only when they turned twelve that they stopped doing their sleepovers in their parents rooms.
Marcos and Maria Vasquez had gone home earlier while Neymar Snr, Nadine and Rafaela had retired to their rooms leaving their son and Maya alone downstairs in their small garden.
"You know I'm resuming at the university in September?", Maya asked hoping he remembered what they had discussed earlier.
"Of course I do Maya, but there's something I've  been wanting to tell you for a while, I know we won't be seeing ourselves that often when you start and I will face football fully but I want to ask you to be my girlfriend, I'm hoping that you would really want to start a relationship with me Maya, I've loved you for as long as I can remember us being friends and what better way to keep our connection even when we are physically apart, it might still be months away before you leave but we can build on this and get closer, what do you think about it?", Neymar asked his best friend as he held her hands.
"Oh Junior, I'm happy you asked me to be your girl, I've waited so long for this day and I promise you I will constantly keep in touch when I leave okay, I love you too", Maya responded and they moved closer to each other with Neymar taking the lend and placing his lips directly on hers slowly. This was the first kiss shared between the new couple and they took their time not rushing it because they wanted to savour the moment.
"I love you Maya", Neymar said to her. "I love you too Junior", she replied him and remained in his embrace.

End of Flashback

Their birthdays were the most cherished times for them because they always got to celebrate and do different fun things together so it constantly brought back memories every time that special day came but this time, Maya didn't cry like she did the years after their divorce, she seemed to smile all through it. This particular birthday of hers fell at a period when she had been promoted at work with higher earnings and a much better life than the other years especially because she was in a much better place.

                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anna had arrived the Vogue Paris office with Emmanuelle's Alt, the Paris Director receiving her from the car park. Anna wore a black and white checkered wooly knee length midi dress with a black trench coat and rotary Louis Vuitton black pumps. She paired her outfit with her signature hair and ten thousand dollar LV handbag. Bernard Arnault, the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Louis Vuitton Moet and Hennessy was alongside her as they walked into the building using the private lift to Emmanuelle's office. They arrived one hour before the Annual General Meeting was bound to start and decided to relax in the comfort of Emmanuelle's office before they went for the meeting whereas, word had gotten out that the long awaited celebrity and global director had arrived which caused many staff to start hanging around the location to get just a glimpse of the star.