Part 2 ✧ Chapter 16

Cleo's POV

61 days later

It's a day past 2 months of no contact with Lycans.

"Let's go clubbing tonight," my co-workers were adamant, Luther heads it up, "Where should we go?"

"Electrify or The Orchid. They have the best crowds," Ronnie suggests.

"Nah," my friend Debra stands up from her couch, we were hanging out at her place for pre-drinks, although I was the sober one, "We should go to the new club in Lorry – The Blacksmith."

"Ehh... I heard it attracts a ratty crowd," Ronnie disapproves.

"Only on Sundays, when its cheap. Fridays is fine," Debra speaks up, "Besides, it's my birthday today. It's my final choice."

"Alright, The Blacksmith... Cleo?" Luther points to me, "You down to drive?"

"Well, can't we, watch a movie like you first wanted, Debra – you said this morning, you wanted to watch the –"

"I want to get laid, I changed my mind," Debra rolls her eyes, "Really Cleo? All we do is go to the movies. Let's go clubbing. Why are you so against it?"

"I'm not... against... it," I try to find the right argument, moving my hands in the air when I talk has become a specialty when I'm nervous, "I just..."

"My. Birthday," Debra whispers, reminding, "Come on, Cleo, I promise you'll have a good time out tonight with me," How do I explain to these 20 year-olds that I'm afraid of the dark? "Look. It's really close to your apartment," Debra mentions, showing me on her phone, "You can walk home if you don't like it and we'll take a taxi."

I nod now, agreeing reluctantly.

Luther and Ronnie start to get ready.

Debra also gets her bag, drinks another shot and then comes to my side, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay, Cleo?" she asks, more privately from the boys.

"Of course," I put on a dazzling smile and she smiles back, believing me.

Oh no.

Off we go to the dark.

For the past two months – and one day – I had slept with the lights on.

****

The Blacksmith

The thing about the night is how quickly a maze of shadows confuses the crowd, and getting separated from friends is much easier.

An hour into entering the flashing new nightclub, Debra is missing, after picking up a guy very quickly. Ronnie and Luther are totally drunk while dancing and trying to seduce other girls.

I had tried to stay with them, but they were always moving back and forth between the bar and the floor, chasing more girls, and it was frustrating me.

Eventually I just decide the safest place is the middle of the dance floor. Out of any dark corners where demons lurk.

Totally stiff and sober, but surrounded by a thick crowd of drunken college kids and people off work, I just stay in the middle.

I mean, what could go wrong?

T L T left Lorry months ago.

I hadn't had any encounters with Lycans nor demons since my common sense incident.

But still, I feel totally unsafe in the dark. Call it trauma, but no matter how many days past, I never felt any safer.

I thought 2 months and 1 day would be a good marker, I made it up in my mind, with the help of some of my new common sense. No contact over 2 full moons. No contact in dreams, in nightmares, or in real life. And that's what happened. Surely the Lycans had all moved on.