Chapter ✧ 29

Carmen and I walk around St. Michael's Cathedral, heading off toward the back, where we reluctantly follow the silver sedan. When Sloan parks, Oswald jumps out, readjusts his suit's cuffs, and waits for us by a small garden bed.

"He's up to something," Carmen whispers.

"Be cautious," I murmur and we walk shoulder to shoulder as we walk down the side of the church, "Let's stop here," I grab Carmen's hand when we're twenty or so feet from Onyx in human form – which I still did not trust. He tries not to smirk at our weary approach, "We're serious," I tell him, "Nuns."

Oswald tilts his head, raising a brow – saying nothing.

"He thinks we're a joke," Carmen starts to growl, showing off her fangs, "And Sloan's just laughing from the car."

I can see Sloan with the window rolled down, black sun glasses on, as he just chews on something and drinks blood from a fresh cup. Glancing into the car I can see blood splattered all over everything... as if someone's just been murdered.

"It always looks like this," Sloan shakes his head as he notices my worried stare into the dashboard, "Relax."

I look back to Priest Oswald.

"As a Queen," I tell him, "And pregnant," I remind him, "I demand my children grow up in a mortal world. You know you want that too for our pups."

"Aunty Carmen," Carmen adds, "Is backing this up."

"I'm listening," Oswald talks so softly and patiently. Oh, he's in character now, "So you want to be a pregnant nun?"

I didn't think of that.

I open my mouth and then shut it, narrowing my eyes, "Look – I think we need to talk about the mortal half of you... why can't you..." I finally see his jaw clench, as irritation starts to show. I have to choose my words very carefully, "Let's go somewhere private, shall we?"

He agrees with a small nod, and turns to start walking.

Sloan groans and rolls up the window, turning off the engine.

"I'll go to Sloan," Carmen whispers in my ear, "You go with Onyx."

"Thanks," I approach Oswald, walking closer until I'm just behind him, but not beside him.

He's walking through the garden, along a path toward the gothic inn; the Glow Worm.

However, before he reaches that, he twists around and heads back toward the church. Indecision written all over his face. Hmm.

I follow his suspicious path, his confliction is obvious.

"Why are you just walking around in circles," I ask Onyx cautiously, worried for his sanity.

He stops his pacing to suddenly look back at me, holding out an innocent hand – fingers wanting to thread through mine.

I start to raise my hand, but then curl my fingers into my palm and hold my hand behind my back.

He couldn't trick me that easy.

"What did I do?" Oswald asks me, his brows furrowed.

"You –"

"To make you so disobedient overnight," he whispers that so quietly, the growl hits my ears and I take a step back. I was wrong. He is still angry. Not worried at all. He can barely contain his rage and need to fuck me. Bloody Monster.

"Don't talk to me like that anymore," I growl back at him, raising my chin, meeting his eye with my own self-contained fury.

"You feel safe in the daylight, don't you, little slut," Oswald turns to me entirely now, a challenge in his eyes as he whispers this at me.