Part 2 ✧ Chapter 10

Cleo's POV

Next day

Tuesday was discounted, so I was expecting a large crowd. Instead, there was no one. It was raining heavily just an hour into my shift. The park is promptly closed, and we are ushered out and told to head home safely.

It wasn't just a light brief pouring of rain, but heavy black clouds, swamping the earth, threatening to simply unload even heavier rain as the day goes on.

My roof wasn't in the best condition, so I hurry back to my flat to get the buckets ready for any dripping through the ceiling. My whole attention is on this task, nothing else worries me.

I'm currently drenched because I didn't bother to open the umbrella, instead I had sprinted back home as quickly as I could.

Fumbling for my key, I open the front door and push it in.

What I see inside, is already a total disaster.

I take out my phone and dial emergency services for storm damage.

"It looks like the back of my roof was ripped off in the wind," I explain, "The house is ruined. Number 9, Green Gully Way, the commission flats... yeah, it looks like I'm the only one who needs the help... talk about unlucky," I mumble, cold, wet and feeling helpless.

"I've got all that. Is there family who can stay with, or friends?"

"Yes, of course," I lie, not liking to admit I have nobody, "...how long will it be before I can come back home?"

"If it's roof damage, we can temporarily fix it, but it will be up to you to contact the government to fix the damage. I'd estimate a week, since services in Lorry will be stretched... is there anything else you need?"

"No, thank you," I hang up, sliding my phone back into my pocket.

Call me... if you need anything...

I shake my head and walk into my ruined flat, water in puddles all over the floor. I go to the kitchen draws, I take out the four hundred dollars. New dress, new shoes, fresh haircut.

I would not call him. I would not.

I know I could.

But... that was too easily a trap. I'd work something out on my own.

Holding the money, I pocket it with my own fifty. Four hundred and fifty dollars.

I walk out the front of my flat, open my umbrella and walk to the bus stop.

I was going into the town, to freshen up... somewhere.

I take the bus to the nearest shopping centre, and I hide inside before it starts pouring heavily again.

Walking down the middle of the mall, the more I think about spending Sardonix's money... the more I worry... will he find out and use that to trap me?

I walk off toward the restrooms, hiding in the corridor... I pull out my phone.

Just a question... just one question.

I could text, but this deserved a call.

I call Sardonix.

I put the phone to my ear and I bite my lip. Short and sweet, no need to fluff talk with Lycans since they hated pointless chit-chat.

It almost rings out, and my hand tightens on the phone with every passing chime.

Eventually, Sardonix answers, without a word, he waits for me to talk.

Short and sweet.

"H-hi. I'm in an emergency. I'm calling to ask... can I spend your money, without any repercussion? I'm asking your permission, Sardonix," there, he'd like that. Asking for permission. At first he doesn't answer. It's just a hot heat radiating out of the phone into my ear, "...hello?" I whisper, confused if he actually answered or not.