Part 2 ✧ Chapter 4

Cleo's POV

"Will you be good? Or will you be bad?" Anubis is standing behind Silvia, and as panic flashes through her eyes, I see Anubis change.

Silvia is not looking at him when every atom in him physically shifts. From Lycan. To mortal. He now stands in his robes, with gold paint over bronze skin. Anubis has a mess of black hair and red piercing eyes as he slowly gets down behind Silvia, awaiting her answer.

"...I'll be very fucking bad," Silvia looks toward me when she says it, and I notice a hint of displeasure in her glare my way.

My heart skips a beat and I hold a hand over my chest, feeling hurt by her response. Why does she hate me now? O-oh it can't be because I asked for her to stay through Anubis, could it? Oh no... what have I done?

Anubis notices the glare passed my way and he puts a human hand around Silvia's head, over her eyes, taking away her sight of me, as he leans over toward her ear.

"Don't you dare think of ill intent toward my favourite Fairy," Anubis then firmly puts his lips to Silvia's ear and whispers to her a sleeping curse, causing her to collapse onto her side. His hand slips from her eyes as she sleeps on the floor, and he stands back up to look at me kneeling in the room.

"I'm thirsty," I complain, "May I take a drink from your well, pretty Anubis?"

"Don't call me pretty," Anubis immediately retorts, his human face stiff but his eyes full of furious emotion. Walking over to me and offering a hand, even his red eyes pierce mine with evil intent, but of his own, which was his right in his Temple, "Come."

I take his hand, and he pulls me up from my knees, and takes me from the room into the next where his water well is.

I skip over with him and sit on the edge. I cup my hands into the clear liquid, taking my fill to feel hydrated once more. The water is quenching one thirst, I'll admit, but not another.

And I am still in my ripped mortal clothes from the club. All white jeans and white top, tattered, nearly shredded right off me. My reflection is that of a grown up Fairy who looks excited and a tad concerned.

Anubis, still as a mortal stands behind me, staring down at me through the reflection, which is how he's used to making eye contact with me.

In fact, he seems more relaxed looking at me through the reflection, and I enjoy seeing his mortal face for the first time. His nose, eyebrows and lips are pierced with golden rings, but his eyes hold his magic, suffering an ancient lonely immortal life Under this Earth. When he looks at me? He looks at hope, and I ease his pain of immortality.

I smile mischievously but full of love at his face in the water, as my fingers float through, making ripples over his reflection.

"Do you love me?" I whisper at Anubis through the water's mirror, knowing the answer already in my heart. Anubis, my love, however surprises me, when he is silent in his gaze returned to me. As I continue to wait for his answer....

...an answer does not come...I...

I start to feel a blush of embarrassment creep up my neck soon after. I can't keep looking at him with such hope blooming in my own heart, waiting for an arrow to kill me.

I avert my eyes down to my fingers curled around the edge of the well instead, "I'm sorry for asking such a silly question to a demon... I – I'm truly sorry... I am wrong to have asked you if you... loved me..."

Cold, dark and empty words finally hit my ears, "A slave is owned, not loved, Cleo."

His answer is said plainly, yet it thunders around me inside my poor head, as if I was small again.