Liar, Liar, Your Fire is a Pyre

The first sound that greets my ears when I awake, is the sound of rain on the Ark's metal surface

The first sound that greets my ears when I awake, is the sound of rain on the Ark's metal surface. I smile, the tinking sound offering to lull me back to sleep.

"Sixty-two." Bellamy murmurs, causing me to open my eyes. He's already looking at me.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion as I try to blink the sleep from my eyes.

A small smile spreads across his face. "You have sixty-two freckles on your cheeks." He says, causing a blush to rise to my cheeks. "Oh wait, there might be more that I missed." He murmurs, before lightly pressing the tip of his finger to my cheek. "Hmm, actually, I think I was right before." He says, with a sickly sweet smile painted onto his face.

I softly shake my head, amused. "How long have you been up?" I ask, shifting to have my full attention on him.

He shrugs, doing the same and shifting. "Long enough to count all of your freckles."

I roll my eyes, a small chuckle escaping. "What time is it?" I ask, yawning.

He looks over at the small window and pouts. "About 10:30 maybe?" He guesses, looking back at me.

I nod, "Clarke is probably back by now, so I suppose we should get up." I say, sitting up in bed.

He grunts before sitting up as well. I stand and reach over to grab my black bomber jacket and jeans before I eventually slip on my boots.

I look over at him, still in bed and just watching me. He doesn't say anything for a moment, just watching me.

"Why were you crying last night?" He asks, his voice soft and tentative.

I swallow, looking down. "I had a dream about Elliot." I say, focusing on my fingers. "It was nothing bad," I say, meeting his gaze. "It just felt so real."

I hear him sigh before he stands and hugs me. He traces shapes onto my back, trying to comfort me.

"I'm here anytime you need me, Hails." He murmurs.

-----------

I softly knock on Clarke's door and wait a moment. Her door swings open and I immediately notice that her eyes are bloodshot and her cheeks are flushed.

My face goes slack as I take in her frame. She quickly pulls me inside her room and shuts the door behind me.

"I haven't told anyone." She says, not offering any context.

"About what?" I ask.

"Lexa agreed to the alliance, but she has terms." She says, before biting her lip and looking away. "She wants Finn because of what he did at the grounder village." She says, a sob coming out on the last word. I wrap my arms around her and sigh into her shoulder.

"What am I supposed to do, Hailey?" She cries into my shoulder. "It's either out people die, or him and I don't even know how they'd do it." She trails off.

I shut my eyes, thinking of the worst. "I've heard legends from Miloch about their killings." I murmur and she pulls away. Her eyes are wide as she gazes at me. I sigh before continuing. "If the person has committed one murder, whoever he has hurt gets to stab him before Lexa takes the final blow." I blow out a breath.

Her eyebrows furrow. "Finn killed 12 people. What do they do then?"

I press my lips together. "Everything." I murmur, shaking my head. "I only know of a few of the rituals, but I know they'll take his fingers, his eyes, his ears after all the ones that he hurt stab him, and then, if he's still alive, Lexa will deal the final blow." I trail off, seeing Clarke's face go slack.

"She can't do that." She stutters. "We can't let her do that, Hailey." She shakes her head, backing away and stumbling into a chair. "I... we need to help him, somehow." She trails off. "What he did was bad, but he doesn't need that to happen to him."

I nod. "I agree." I say, but something deep inside of me can't shake the feeling that I am somehow, the tiniest bit, a liar.

"So..." She trails off, turning around. "What do we do?" She asks, beginning to pace. "Run?" She asks.

I shake my head. "We'll all end up dead."

"Fight?"

"Dead." I sigh.

Her face desolates into a hopeless mess. "Hailey..."

I look down. "I know, but I don't know how to help."

"You need to talk to Lexa." She says, placing her hands on my upper arms. I glance up and see her pleading eyes threatening to spill over with tears. "Please."

I nod, "Okay."

———————

"I'm here to see Lexa." I say, raising my chin.

The grounder eyes me up and down before beginning to pat me down. After coming up clean, he lets me through.

My eyes meet Riv's first and anger floods my mind but I shove it down and lock it away. For now.

"Why are you here, Hailey?" Lexa asks, her arms crossed as she sits on her throne.

I advert my gaze to her. "A trade."

She raises an eyebrow, intrigued. "Oh?" Her lips curve into a smile as she stands and walks towards me. "For what?"

I clench my jaw, willing myself to continue to hold her gaze. "Me for Finn."

Her eyes narrow. "Why would you offer yourself in place of that murderer?" She tilts her head.

"Because I've killed more people than him." I say, my heart thudding in my ears. "Your people."

I see Indra take a step forward. "Watch your mouth, girl."

I glance at her, expecting to see raw anger in her eyes, but it's instead disappointment.

I narrow my eyes before looking back at Lexa. "Well?" I ask.

"No."

"Why?"

"You're a mighty warrior," She begins. "You are correct though, you have killed 47 of my people."

My eyes widen. "You...counted?"

Amused, she smiles. "I keep track of things that intrigue me." She offers nothing else. "Either way, I will not kill you in place of Finn." She pauses. "Nor will I kill you if you deny to hand him over."

I tilt my head. "Why?"

She doesn't respond and instead begins to walk around me, glancing me over.

"You could be a great asset." She murmurs to herself. "Shall we fulfil that offer that Anya made?" She asks, stopping to the left of me.

I glance at her and narrow my eyes.

"I can make you the best warrior to have ever lived."

I hold her gaze before looking down at my hands, remembering the feeling of Elliot's blood staining my hands. I push the thought away.

"Who would train me?" I ask.

A murderous smirk stretches across her lips. "Who do you think?" She says, her voice hushed. She walks back to her throne and sits down.

"After Finn's death, you and I will be training in the training cove for your own comfort." She says, her voice strong.

I nod before turning and walking towards the exit, but not before I here her mutter, "See you soon, Hailey."

—————
A/N
woooooooo another chapter
i'm also sad because i got into a car accident :/
i'm completely fine though so that's good ;)
love you all, please take care of yourself,
abigail