Cold Cold C o l d

My veins run cold

My veins run cold.

"What?" I stutter out. "You've given me a name?"

His sickly sweet smile widens, "Of course," He pauses before turning to a child behind him who had helped with the fire. "Adyen, come here, Reskripa wants to speak with you."

The child's face drains from contentment to fear, but they still come forward.

"Remember this, Reskripa, in this world, it is better to be feared than to be loved, so don't feel bad when the children run from you." His smile widens before he lightly slaps Adyen on the shoulder and lets him run away.

"Why did I receive that name?" I ask after a moment, my eyes wandering after Adyen.

"Because of the warriors my people saw you practically mutilate in the battle."

My eyes widen and I look back at him. "That was..."

He cuts me off by holding up his hand. "It was war, yes, but you decapitated men like it was nothing. With your blade and strength, people are terrified of you, but they also have your respect." He pauses before that damned smile comes back onto his face. "The commander respects you, Reskripa."

-----------

After speaking with the man who I'd learned was named Onyx, I slowly slipped away from the crowd and am now walking on the outskirts of the camp, trying to find Finn and Murphy.

"Hailey!" A voice whispers from up ahead.

"Finn?" I ask, stepping forward.

He and Murphy both come walking out of the shadows.

"Did you find our people?" Finn asks, his eyes hooded and suspicious. "Or were you too busy betraying us?"

My eyebrows furrow, "What do you mean?"

A snarky grin appears on his face. "I saw how you were helping them put out the fire. Our distraction." His eyes narrow.

I glance at Murphy to see his face impassive. I look back at Finn. "I swear, Finn, they don't have our people. These people, here," I point back at the village. "They're good people, Finn, please, let's just leave."

"What's happened to you, Hailey?" He asks, leaning forward and lightly pushing up my chin. "Have you gotten all soft? All traumatised from battle?" He tuts before a small smirk appears on his face.

I shove his hand away and begin to walk away, but stop.

"Running away like the scared little coward you are!" He yells out.