Heaven - (Mumbo Angst)

AN- the song is Heaven by Blink 182. All rights to them.

TW- self-harm, suicidal thoughts

PSA: Talking someone down from suicide is an intense moment that I don't think I could ever truly describe it. My experience with my own best friend shook me to the core and caused me to question my own feelings towards life. I hit a downward spiral that I didn't noticed until about 6 months later. I was lucky to have great and loving support around me but not everyone does. Even 5 years later, this experience is a core memory (as they would say in Inside Out). My best friend and I have looked forward to a brighter future and I can promise that in life there is HOPE. There is LIGHT. There is JOY. If you ever need anything, know that there are resources out there. I am also here.

Mumbo POV-

Is my life really worth living? No one ever cares and just laugh at me when I mess up. 

I don't believe that we were ever meant to be

I'm only good for their entertainment. They call me a spoon. A failure. Annoying.

Left underneath the light of dying stars

I lie on my back at the top of one of the many obsidian pillars in the end. The stars of the void twinkle invitingly and I ache to join them. 

Push me off of the edge of the world

What would it be like to just step off, gliding to the stars below me. I think it would be a peaceful end. No need to worry about the redstone contraptions. 

Watch me as I slowly fall apart

No need to say goodbye. 

Set fire to the roof of your house

I had just blown up my house and everything I owned. Iskall had laughed and laughed. Then flown away. 

And waited for the sirens to wail

He just left me to cry. I couldn't handle it so I flew away and ended up here. 

Left your favorite records to melt

I sigh, sitting up, and gently roll up the sleeve of my suit, seeing the blood seeping into the white of my shirt. Fresh cuts. The only way for me to avoid the pain inside my soul.

Listened as you damned me to hell

"Mumbo?"

Angel wings at the bus stop

Halos left on top of the bar

The gentle padding of feet behind me causes me to hastily replace my suit sleeve. I don't care who has come to see me, I'm not worth anything and deserve to just join the void.

Heaven doesn't want me now

I refuse to look as someone sits down gently beside me. 

Well what did I think would happen

They rest their hand on my arm and when I flinch in pain, they hastily retract their arm. "I saw the red on your shirt Mumbo." Their voice was laced with concern. 

I wouldn't dream of asking you and it

Healed for me, so long

I glance sideways at the hermit and feel my heart sink when it's Grian.

I lived in fear that you moved on

Why would he want to talk to me? I was the one who pushed him away.

What have I done to us it seems?

I've broken trust and shattered dreams

He was my best friend but he kept secrets. He held a dark past. And when it finally came to light I... I left him. I remember the day like it was yesterday. I went to see him but found him pruning some golden wings. 

I only wish I'd spoken up

Loneliness since we broke up

I confronted him and he burst into tears. I yelled at him for hiding his watcher past. He'd broken my trust and the trust of every other hermit. If they had known they would hate him. 

Say a prayer that you'll make it to the other side.

And that's what they did. 

It won't make no sense and you'll lose your mind

I could no longer watch my best friend be shunned by those I called family. I ran away from him and everyone and fell back into my old habits of self-harm and self-hatred.

We're lost in our ways

Nothing left to say, no

Grian just sat in silence beside me, his hand folded into his lap. He then gently lifting his own sleeve.

Make a wish that you'll get a chance to say goodbye

Before the shots ring out in the dead of night

I looked at his arm, where red lines covered his own pale skin. "Grian..." 

We're stuck in our ways

I've got so much to say, oh

He stopped me, shaking his head and began speaking, "I saw you leaving your base and became worried. I followed and when I saw you up here... You may still hate me but let me at least apologize before you... go..." He trailed off as he looked from me an into the void.

Showed up like shadows in this crowd

Brought the fire blinding

My breath hitched in my throat as I glared into the void. I had caused Grian so much pain that he began doing the one thing I hated myself so much for. 

Came here to quickly tear us down, down, down

I looked at him, silent tears streaming down his face and I knew right then. Right there. That I couldn't leave him. After everything I'd done to him. I couldn't do this.

Angel wings at the bus stop

Halos left on top of the bar

I nod at him. He had probably just saved my life that day. "Mumbo, can I... Can I come touch you now?" I nod again and he scoots closer and carefully slides my suit sleeve up, followed by the white shirt to study the marks on my arm. Tears stream down my face and I feel something light yet warm around my back.

Heaven doesn't want me now

He had wrapped us both up in his beautiful watcher wings.