12

i sat down next to joe at the table, across from my parents. my dad stared at the both of us and joe gave him a smile. i started laughing which made my dad sigh.

he loved joe, he really did. he supported joe when i didn't, but when it comes to having sex with his daughter, under his roof, my dad wasn't to fond of it all. which i understand, it was just funny.

i looked in between my dad and joe and sighed.

"guys stop," i said. this happened senior year too and it led to joe being kicked out for a week. i didn't want another argument like that to surface.

"hope, stay out of their boy issues" my mom said. i knew she was right but i didn't care

"no mom. why can't dad just respect joe and i? he respected joe and all of his girlfriends in middle school. why is it when it comes to me he hates joey?" i raised my voice a little causing everyone to look at me.

i was genuinely tired of how my dad treated joe when it came to me. he loved me. i loved him. my dad needed to seriously get over it.

"hope, you don't know the half of it" my dad said making me roll my eyes

"then tell me all there is to know. obviously since i'm so in the wrong here, you can tell me what is right." i spoke up making me dad sigh.

i looked over at joe who looked uncomfortable, he knew my dad and i fought a lot but never really witnessed any of the arguments. now that he was the start of one, he couldn't be so uncomfortable. i then turned back to my dad when he started to speak.

"i'm scared to lose you to him hope. you put everything towards him and never pay attention to me or your mother. do you realize how that makes us feel?" he asked. he couldn't be serious

"don't bring me into this, daniel" my mom said from the kitchen

"sorry dad, sorry that i just got back from ignoring joe for 3 years and i want to catch up with him. sorry that in high school i was being a teenager in love. sorry that i don't spend every breath with you. i have a life dad! i don't want to argue all day!" i yelled at the end

"don't you dare raise your voice at me hope elizabeth" he said as i stood up

"so you can raise your voice and scream in my face, but i can't raise it for two sentences?" i asked

at this point my mom was putting food on the table just ignoring us as if it was a normal day, because it was. i waited for an answer but my dad failed to give one.

"thanks for dinner mom, but i'm not hungry anymore" i said before walking upstairs to my room and locking my door.

i slid down my door and started crying. why did we always fight? i just wanted a dad who supported me and my relationships. that's all i was asking for.

joe stayed downstairs and had dinner with my mom since my dad left the house to go to the bar, being tired of having me around already. i felt horrible for causing this all.

i grabbed a towel and started the shower, then of course, took a shower.