Chapter 9 A call from a dead person

It was about five a.m when Steve Rogers woke up in the hotel room that him, Sam and Natasha slept in that night. He turned in his bed, looking over at Natasha sleeping peacefully next to him. He smiled. She didn't look like she could hurt a fly. Then he reminded himself, that there was a knife placed under her pillow. Right. She was an assassin and they were on the run. He sat up to see Sam sleeping on the couch. They'd payed for a two people bedroom and Sam had refused to sleep on the beds even when Nat joined. Somehow Steve got the feeling it wasn't because he wasn't comfortable in the bed but more because he wanted Steve to be in the same bed as Natasha. Contra to popular believe Steve wasn't oblivious and had seen the mysterious glint in Sams eyes when he suggested he would take the couch. And maybe, just maybe Sam was also a little afraid of the assassin.

Steve got up and took a shower. He was a bit jumpy. Normally him and Sam would go on a run at this time. But Nat had told them, that it was easier taking them if they had the same routines every day of week, so today they wouldn't do it. When he got out of the shower he put on some jeans and a shirt. After a while Sam stood up too. 

It was about eight a.m. when the two men stood over Natashas still sleeping body, debating wether to wake her or not and also who should be the one waking her. "You do it!", Sam said. "You already made me sleep next to her because you are afraid.", Steve argued, looking down at Natasha. "Oh I wasn't afraid to sleep next to her. But I'm definitely terrified of waking her", Wilson admitted. Steve rolled his eyes at his friend. He wasn't keen on waking her either. Once when they were living in the compound Tony made him do it, cause he had woken the billionaire and Nat had almost killed him, when he did. "If I die you'll be equally as dead", Steve looked over at Sam. "Curtesy of Bucky, when he wakes up" Sam shrugged: "I'll take that bet", he said, as he quietly took a few steps back. "Coward", Steve whispered. He took a deep breath and shook Natasha a little. The next thing he knew, he was pressed to the wall a knife to his throat and a gun pointed at his head. 

Natasha looked at him a few seconds with her terrifying gaze before her face relaxed and she smirked at Steve. "I thought you learned from last time Rogers", she said before lowering gun and knife. "Yeah well this time it's eight o'clock", she looked over at her phone. "Fair", she shrugged, before taking. her clothes and disappearing in the bathroom. When she came back out the trio went into the city, to check if there was any suspicious activity going on and if there were any people looking for them. 

When they met back up in a small restaurant, Steves phone began to ring. He was the only one of them that had one with him. He was still hoping Tony would call him with the one he sent to the billionaire when they'd disappeared. He took the phone out of his pocket. The number was unknown. He looked over at his colleagues and Nat nodded. Then he picked up. 

"Hello?", he asked. "Captain, how's Belgium?", he heard the familiar voice of Nick Fury say. "It's great, how's being dead?", Steve replied, not even wondering how Fury got the number. "More exhausting than I thought it would be", Fury replied. "How'd you get the number Fury and who knows?", Steve asked. "Relax Rogers. I still have a few people loyal to me and I'm rebuilding SHIELD, without the government intervening. I happen to have some skilled hackers." Steve nodded. That sounded like something Fury would do. Sam and Nat scooted closer with their chairs so they could listen to the conversation the two men were having. 

"So why are you calling?", Steve asked. "I need you guys to come back to New York", Fury replied with a dry tone. "Are you crazy?! You know how close that is to the Avengers compound?! Not to mention: Stark Tower. Ross has no restrictions there, here he does", Sam whisper shouted into the phone. "Look there is a group that I believe to have some kind of enhancements. And as much as I would like to I'won't be able to catch them to bring them in for recruitment before the  government hears of them. Besides I would ask Tony but I don't trust him as far as I can throw him and he is occupied with some group of teenagers, who found out Spiderman's identity." "What would happen if we decided to come?", Nat asked her former boss. "I would contact Tony first, before you fly over here. Maybe he agrees to let you stay in the compound, if he doesn't I'll convince him that is was a hypothetical and you wouldn't come. You can still come just with an apartment in the city or something.", The director explained. "Yeah as if he's gonna believe you", Steve scoffed. "And what about Ross?" "Oh Tony is long done following those instructions. He called me a few days back to ask if two of the teens he was looking for where from SHIELD" 

And so the agreement was for Fury to convince Tony to grant the three former Avengers access to the compound.