↳ 3.10

the dark mark

August 26th, 1994

THE BEST DAY of her life was followed by

THE BEST DAY of her life was followed by... Daisy had to say, an unfathomable and shocking night. The forest was too dark and too crowded, and their party was unwillingly separated into three subgroups during all the hectic running.

"Are... you okay?"

Daisy nodded, hugging her knees tighter to her chest. They had found a cavern somewhere between the tall roots of vegetations and decided to hide there.

"You don't... seem like it."

"I'm good, George," she smiled, "I just... That crowd, what they did..."

George drew a long breath, "I'm really sorry you had to see that. This is why we have to be so cautious with you... This world, it's got some very bad people."

"There are bad people everywhere. Muggles got convicts, thieves, and murderers, too."

"Yeah, but... still. Fred and I hope we could've protected you from ever... knowing about this... this mess of our world."

"Well, I guess it's a full package," Daisy said in assurance, patting the back of his hand. "How long do you think we should stay here?"

George hummed, "Maybe a little bit longer. We should do something about your little scratches, though."

Daisy glanced at the tiny, bleeding lines on her legs, courtesy of wild grasses that grazed upon her skin as they ran. "It's nothing."

"You should've worn longer pants."

"There wasn't enough time to change."

"That's true."

For a few moments, they stayed silent, only accompanied by the echoes of the ongoing commotion. Then she said, "George, may I ask you a question?"

George hummed, looking out warily towards the vague lights out there.

"Promise to answer me honestly, please?"

He hummed again.

"Has any of your family did that... Obliviate thing to me?"

She frowned when she noticed his body tensing. He scrambled to sit up straighter and looked at her, bewildered, "Wh— Where did that come from?"

Daisy kept her eyes glued at his uncharacteristic gait, "If you did modify my memory, can't I at least know about it?"

"Uh... If we did, hypothetically of course, wouldn't that mean you're better off not knowing?"

"George..."

"Alright," George said, "I can assure you of two things, Dee. One, we love you. Two, your whole memory with us is in tact. You didn't forget anything about us or magic, okay? Trust me."