Chapter Thirteen - Madrasah

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Senang Diri!" (Ease yourself) she commanded and we did as told. "Go."

The contingent immediately broke and everyone went to collect their water bottles. Yani caught up with me as I was chugging my water bottle while walking towards a bench.

"Ahhh!" she exclaimed after she drank. " So refreshing."

"I'm going to the toilet," I said, standing up. "You coming?"

"Nah, I've already gone just now," she replied, leaping to her feet as well. "I'm gonna go in first."

"Alright see you inside."

Seeing some other guide members coming out of the toilet and already making their way back, I scurried to the toilet entrance. I didn't want to be late for fear of Joanna's wrath. Though she was also a student and only two years my senior; she was pretty strict with the rules and I sometimes felt as though we were really in the military. A military for girls.

Rinsing my hands, I bolted out of the toilet door when a ball came flying my way, knocking me to the floor.

"Ouch!" I yelped, rubbing the aching spot on my head as a voice cried. "Hey, are you okay there?" I saw the silhouette of a male running towards me from the basketball court nearby. A group of other males standing behind and watching.

Which idiot kicked the ball to my head... I thought as I stood up and turned to face the fella, ready to take out my anger on him, when I saw the face.

Crap. It's Faris! I turned my body the other way, my heart already pounding wildly in my chest. RUN! Wait...what the heck am I doing! Stupid idea. I whirled around and willed for my heartbeat to slow but to no avail. How was I supposed to remain calm and tame the arrhythmias in my heart when Faris was right here - in front of me? And he was looking so cute in that soccer jersey too...Wait, why is he playing soccer if he's in NCC?

"Hey." I heard him say. There was something distinctively different in his tone. My eyes shot up to meet his. He looked puzzled. Had he been talking to me? How long had I zoned out for?!

"S-sorry!" I blurted out, growing embarrassed. "I, uh, wasn't listening. Say again?"

He still seemed weirded out by me and I wanted to die there and then but luckily he said nothing and quickly shrugged the matter off.

"I was asking whether you are okay." He cleared his throat. "That was one nasty hit. And well, sorry," he sheepishly added.

I reached up to massage the throbbing spot my head. I was bound to have a bump soon. I had forgotten that just a moment ago, Faris' soccer ball had knocked the wind from my lungs. I should be mad and upset, I know, but I couldn't help the smile that carved on my lips. I had to force myself not to smile. Gee, I must have turned into a loony or had a really bad fall.

I held up my hands. "I am! It's okay," I said confidently with a smile. "Don't worry about it."

"Are you.."

"Yes?" I responded, still smiling widely for no reason.

"Are you...new here?"

For some reason, I had the urge to chuckle so I did. "Well I guess you could say so. I have only been a student here for a month," I said after my chuckle died down. Note-to-self: remind me to smack myself afterwards.

"Oh. That's...cool," he replied slowly.

For the next passing seconds, we just stood there, looking at each other wordlessly. Both of us shifted our bodies slightly from the awkwardness.