I found my phone in-between the cushions and my heart sank when Dad's name flashed on the screen. I sniffed, wiped away my tears, and cleared my throat before I answered. "Hi, Dad."

"Hi, sweetheart, where are..." Dad trailed off and continued after a long moment, "Millie, are you alright? You sound upset."

He knows me well.

"I'm fine," I forced a smile even though he couldn't see me. "I just woke up from a nap."

"Are you sure that's it?" Das sounded skeptical.

"Of course," I smoothly lied. "I've been catching up on some sleep."

"Alright," Dad didn't sound convinced but he thankfully let it go. "I hope I didn't disturb you?"

"Not at all," I wasn't entirely dishonest – I needed a break from my racing thoughts.

"Mandy and I were just saying how much we miss you and thought if you didn't have any other plans, you should join us for dinner."

A small smile grew over my lips, I missed them too and perhaps needed to distract my mind and surround myself with family. But a part of me also wanted to just be alone even though it probably wasn't the best thing at that moment.

"Um, sure," I agreed. "I miss you guys too. I'll freshen up and come over."

"Shall I pick you up?"

"No, I'll take a cab."

"I'll send Patrik." Dad's tone left no room for arguments.

I didn't have the will to argue so I easily agreed and hung up. I glanced at the phone screen and noticed all the missed calls from Mitchell. Just a few hours ago, he was desperate to hear my voice, to hold me, feel me and be with me so how was it so easy for him to walk away?

I glanced at our picture on my home screen and wondered how things unraveled. We were so happy and content in Europe but ever since we got back, we somehow picked up some bump or the other along the way. I was fairly new to the kind of relationship I had with Mitchell but also never thought we'd have so many issues that early on.

Stop. Mitchell walked out and I refuse to mope about him for another minute. If anyone needs to fix this right now, he needs to take initiative. I've wasted way too many tears on him already.

After I freshened up, I grabbed my phone and keys and left – the sooner I was out, the better. I wasn't sure if avoiding my feelings was a good idea but I needed to occupy myself for a while or I would've drowned in a pool of heartbreak and self-pity. I practiced a convincing smile as I locked up and mentally prepared myself to be my normal, cheery self so no one at home, especially Dad, would catch on that something was wrong.

Even though on the outside, I came off as poker-faced, I still felt anxious. My heart beat a little faster and every time my phone vibrated, I had a small hope it was Mitchell.

I came to an abrupt stop in the building foyer when I almost bumped into Leo.

"We have got to stop meeting like this," Leo mused as he gripped my shoulders to stop a collision.

My mind was so preoccupied that I didn't see where I walked and almost slammed into him. However, I was relieved to see my best friend. "Leo," I breathed and resisted the urge to hug him.

"Mila," Leo drawled and his brown eyes shadowed by his furrowed dark brows read my features. "Why do you look as if you're seeing me for the first time?"

I gulped and tried to act as normal as possible, although a part of me wanted to confide in him as I used to in the past. "I barely see you these days so it feels that way."